Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Error Code: 8004027A DVD-Video playback graph building failed

This is a discussion on Error Code: 8004027A DVD-Video playback graph building failed within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I can not get my 2 DVD/CD drives to read discs as of the last couple of weeks, they were

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

I can not get my 2 DVD/CD drives to read discs as of the last couple of weeks, they were both fine for years.

If I manually launch PowerDVD and then try to play the DVD I will get the below error before it says there is no disc inserted.

Error Code: 8004027A
DVD-Video playback graph building failed.

The OS seems to recognize the disc a little, the "My Computer" screen shows 0 bytes on the Disc drive when a disc is inserted DVD or CD. However there is no way to navigate to the disc, explore or open. Using the XP Dos prompt there is no way to navigate to the drives either.

The interesting detail is that I can use Nero Ultra 6.1.32 and write to the DVD, but I can't read from the DVD's. I am not sure if the write was successful but it did go through the motions with a verification pass.

Help, I can't even put XP Pro in to reload the OS due to not being able to read CD's as well as DVD's.

I am running XP Pro with SP2, I tried removing SP2, reinstalling PowerDVD, reinstalling the Motherboard drivers, updating Nvidia Video card drivers with no change. My computer is basically screwed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have found numerous cases on the newsgroups where people have this problem dating back a few years but a number of new cases in the last year with XP. However no one has replied with a solution.

I tried restoring to an earlier point but I can not go back far enough for some reason.

Thanks,

Dale

Old 10-17-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Ok. So you say both went kaput at the same time? Are they both on the same IDE cable? Were you doing anything in particular when this started happening?

Old 10-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

I upgraded to sp2 and a few other upgrades. It has been a few weeks since I tried reading a DVD. yes they are on the same IDE cable, however I can write to a DVD RW, I just can't read CD or DVD's
Old 01-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hey easyrider...I am having the same problem. I am running xp pro...Explorer cannot read my cd rw, my DVD RW, or even my removable disks anymore. Power DVD returns an error code 8004027a. I have tried to replace aspi layers...but still no good. Device Manager says all is okay. Nero can copy a cd to another cd.

Did you resolve your problem? If so, how?

Can anyone else help?