Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Error 1920

This is a discussion on Error 1920 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, did a little research and didn't really find anything usefull to my situation. I'm trying to install a language

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 03:53 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to CD27 Send a message via MSN to CD27 Send a message via Yahoo to CD27

Ok, did a little research and didn't really find anything usefull to my situation. I'm trying to install a language package so that when i search for sites that have other languages on them i see more than just a bunch of question marks.

I've got the installers for them, but it says this error message when i try to install them:

Error 1920. Service 'IISADMIN' (IISADMIN) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

So does anyone know how I can give myself "sufficient privileges to start system services"?

Eric

Old 04-12-2008, 05:24 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to CD27 Send a message via MSN to CD27 Send a message via Yahoo to CD27

bump.................

Old 04-12-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

it seems to me that something is trying to prevent the installation. if you have an antivirus or antispyware shutdown their realtime protection. if they are in the system tray rightclick on them and click shutdown. are you installing this package for internet explorer and have you downloaded this pachage. aswell go to user control in control panel and check that you are logged in as admin.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

if the above advice doesn't work try this, make another account give it admin right restarty your pc log into that account and install it. the second option is rightclick on the installation file and click run as admin. hope it works
Old 04-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #5

Well, to ad a bit of info. I installed Deep Freeze on my computer, which takes a snapshot of the computer so that when you restart, it always loads that snapshot, so any changes cannot be saved, protects against hackers and viruses of all types.

it has three modes: Boot Froze-"freezes" the current snapshot until you turn it off.
Boot Thawed on next (enter number of restarts)-which allows you to make changes, basically turns it off
and Boot Thawed-which turns it off until you turn it back on.

I had it on boot thawed and went into safe mode and tried to install it (can't do it safe mode though, duh) and i got BSOD and a corrupt registry.

Don't know if that helps any.

I do have one question, so as to help out against this, if i have another hard crash, i want to be able to have a backup and just run that wihtout haveing to go through all the hassel. note that when i have hard crashes like this i have no access to windows at all, no LKGC (Last known good config), no safe mode, and no regular boot. So i guess i need a bootable backup that can restore my configs to a previous point.

any ideas?
Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hate to say this, but I accidentally did a partial format of c: a couple times, long and dumb story there, lol. Good thing I keep multi-backups on an external drive, takes about a half hour or so to restore an 18 gig backup using ShadowProtect Desktop 3.1, costs 80 or 90 bucks though.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

have you tried uninstalling your system snapshit, i don't think you need it, all you need is a backup of your work and did you try some of the stuff mentioned above. try download windows installer again.
here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en