Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

"End Now" won't end now

This is a discussion on "End Now" won't end now within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Every few days I get some program or other (IE or OE or WE often) that freeze up and won't

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Every few days I get some program or other (IE or OE or WE often) that freeze up and won't close. I try the Task Manager (ctr+alt+del) and it doesn't work. I even try "going to process" from the application window and closing the process. The End Now doesn't end. I just get the stupid window asking if I want to report the error to Microsoft.
I even try "Restart" and get no response.
What I usually have to do is push the power button on the tower and then turn it on again. I don't think this is a good thing for my 5 month old Dell.
Windows XP, Pentium 2.8, 80 G-HD, 1 G Ram.
I run a very clean machine with few programs at start up and run antispyware .
Any other ways to tell windows to close the program, or even just shut down?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #2

you have 2 posts that probably have the same issues

run the 5 step procedure in my sig.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Don't think that I don't appreciate your help. But your reply doesn't really assist me.
First the fact that QuickTime keeps putting itself in my Start Up is unrelated to the End Now problem.
I looked at you 5 step procedure and I'm sorry but it wasn't a help for me. He's whgere I am:
I run Ad-Aware, Search and Destroy and Microsoft Anti spyware. (no others) I have not found any spyware or malware on my PC. I also run ZoneAlarm Firewall. I do Windows Update about every two weeks, so I am pretty up to date there.
I can't reboot in Safe Mode, because when this happens the PC will not Restart at all.
I don't download movies or music and i run Avast anti-virus.
I don't think this is an easy by-the book problem. I am open to all suggestions. Thank you for your effort.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:05 AM   #4

greetings
and you never followed through with the procedure..
it sure appears that you have a few symptoms of infection.
this is just a few signs from Microsoft:

Quote:
• You cannot start Windows Task Manager.
Quote:
• New icons appear on the desktop that you did not put there
check the device manager for any yellow conflict alerts and run chkdisk
otherwise..if its 5 months old it should be under warranty
Old 03-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

I don't know what you mean by not following through. I explained that I ran antispyware (3 of them) and antivirus. I checked for Rouge programs. I update Windows. I used CCleaner.
What procedure didn't I follow?
I am not an expert, but I am not a rookie. I would be aware of new Icons and other common signs of infection.
I'll update and run all my scanners again. The concensus seems to be spyware or malware, so I'll give that another shot. I am stuck with what to do next to fix this.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks! Will do.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

I've done all the scans and spyware checks and still have this problem. I've removed everything from my startup list that isn't essential. The only thing left is to download and run Hijack This. I don't know if this is worthwhile, since it is a big undertaking. Any advice?

OMT: I noticed in the Proccesses window of Task Manager that when I'm not running anything but the basic programs that my explorer.exe is the top user at about 24k. is this normal? (If not it could be related to my problem)
Old 03-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
The only thing left is to download and run Hijack This. I don't know if this is worthwhile, since it is a big undertaking
this is a very quick procedure, seconds, not even minutes to have a log ready.

do you have any norton products installed?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
Registered Member

No Norton. Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #11
Registered Member

I put the HijackThis Log in that Forum:

http://www.techsupportforum.com//sec...tml#post493231
Old 03-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #12

While you are waiting for someone to finish analyzing your Hijackthis log let me suggest you try the following since your problems to me sound like a corrupted user profile.

Turn off your computer and wait at least a minute.
Start your computer and start tapping F8 once a second after you hear the beep until you get a start options menu and choose safe mode.

Login with user name Administrator (not your usual user name ) (it is a hidden master administrator account for repairs in safe mode). If you have never used and password protected this account leave the password blank (empty , none, nada)
Once logged in in safe mode as Administrator go to control panel / users
Choose create a new user account under tasks. You want to make it a member of the administrators group. Give it a different name and password than your current account.
Restart the computer and login to this new account.
Let us know if you have the same problems in the new account as you did in your regular account.
If not, we can use it to fix the other one or we can move your data to this one.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

Okay, I set up a new user. The problem here is that I don't have any info I need from my old user. None of my Email accounts or Documents or Favorites or Settings, Nothing. Now, I could spend several hours bringing this new user account up to speed, but if this is not the problem I hate to waste that much time. Unfortunately, I have no way to test this user account to see if it has the same "end now" problem.
So I'll play with this for a few days but I'd like to get some solutions before I make this account permanent.
I appreciate all the help, I'm just a bit frustrated.