Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Enabling sound in safe mode windows xp

This is a discussion on Enabling sound in safe mode windows xp within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, just to let you all know that I AM NOT IN ANY WAY AN EXPERT in this but

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone, just to let you all know that I AM NOT IN ANY WAY AN EXPERT in this but i have years of experience using windows that means that i do know the thousands of problems everyone encounters while using them.

So, basicly, you are using Safe Mode in windows either because you get blue screen or because of some other reasons... And you have browsed the web and you everyone said you cant get sound in safe mode... Well, you CAN. At least it worked for me. This is how

Google Universal audio driver for windows xp

Chose the second thing that you get in the list. Download it
Download Realtek AC97 Audio Codec Driver A3.97 Driver for Windows 9X/ME/NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista/XP X64/2008 - Softpedia

Install this and you should now be able to have sound in safe mode. At least it worked for me.

Then again i repeat i am not an expert so do not get your hopes up to much... Hope this will help at least someone.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Thanks for the tip, but Safe Mode is a Trouble Shooting bootup option, with limited drivers installed. Safe Mode is not meant to be used for normal computer operation, hence you do not need to have sound. If you install the wrong driver for your sound card you will disable it in Normal Mode.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BSOD using Verifier.exe... - New Build [moved from Vista/ Windows 7]
Attempted to track down a suspected faulty driver using verifier.exe resulted in multiple BSOD, although only one mini-dump file was successfully written, of the Nvidia system driver nvlddmkm.sys. I was able to deduce this as I had checked each file one by one until BSOD's occurred. However,...
CycloneJoe67 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 5 02-10-2011 12:01 PM
Plug and Play Causes Services to run 100%
About i week ago I booted my computer and noticed that it was running extremly slow. I opened task manager and found that services.exe was running up my CPU. After going through msconfig and using trial and error, i found that it wouldn't drive it up if i had Plug and Play unchecked. So my...
logicalman Resolved HJT Threads 46 02-09-2011 04:51 AM
windows xp no sound
I know there have been 100 threads in regard to this topic. The problem is none of them solved my issue. I just started a new job and the computer they gave me to use has no sound. It is an Emachines 4510. When I go into the device manager under sounds it just has: Audio codecs, Legacy...
alkibalboa Windows XP Support 26 01-25-2011 02:50 PM
Windows 7 "Freezes" (kind of) after boot, runs fine in Safe Mode
Hi, all - First, thanks for all you do to voluntarily help noobs like me keep our stuff working. 2 months ago, I had the HDD replaced on my laptop. Yesterday, it started "freezing" about 5 minutes after booting up. It isn't a true freeze as the mouse still works, but all programs stop...
ofortuna0675 Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 3 01-23-2011 05:45 AM
Xp prof won't boot in safe mode
Hi. I am working on a Dell Vostro 220 running XP Prof. sp3. The system hangs, so I reboot and it hangs again at the Windows splash screen. I try re-booting in safe and it hangs at Mup in all four options in safe. I have done the following: Ran a memtest, Hirens HDD regenerator, PC-Check 6.21,...
geno368 Windows XP Support 8 12-31-2010 04:36 PM