Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Emptying my Recycle Bin

This is a discussion on Emptying my Recycle Bin within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to clean up my computer. Takes so long to shut down. I have done a disk clean

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to clean up my computer. Takes so long to shut down. I have done a disk clean and I have so so much stuff in my Recycle bin. There are 134 objects and most files are pf files and shows original location in C:/Window/Prefetch and they range from 4kb to 90kb. I want to clean out my recycle bin. Will this mess up my computer? I googled an example which is Rundll32.EXE-1BC69D2D.pf and it gave me info for trojan viruses. Not sure what to do?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

As long as the files in the recycle bin aren't files you need (documents/photos, etc) it's safe to just clean it out.

You may want to try a program like CCleaner or Glary Utilities which may do a better job of cleaning out temporary files.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Anything in your Recycle Bin isn't being used by Windows and is safe to empty. Try using ATF Cleaner. Put a check next to Windows Temp, All Users Temp, Temporary Internet Files and Recycle Bin. That will clear out a lot of junk.

After that it would be a good idea to run a virus scan.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
TSF - Emeritus

My System

However, where was the file BEFORE it got to the recycle bin. I am not a security wallah but if you are concerned about the possibility of a Trojan, I suggest you click this link and follow the instructions to the letter

Lest we forget...

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

11th hour, 11th day, 11th month
We will remember them

Closed Thread