Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

DVD won't play in DVD player

This is a discussion on DVD won't play in DVD player within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have created a movie using Windows Movie Maker. The file extension is .avi. I have burned the movie to

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have created a movie using Windows Movie Maker. The file extension is .avi. I have burned the movie to DVD (it's about 3.5GB in size) using Nero 6. The DVD plays fine on my computer but when I try to play it in my DVD player I get a message that it is the wrong type of disc. I admit I don't burn many CDs or DVDs but I have tried everything I can think of and cannot produce a DVD that will play in my player. P.S. the player doesn't have a problem playing DVDs of movies I have purchased or rented.

I am at a loss. Any advice would be appreciated.

PSS Operating system is Windows XP, SP3.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Did you create a data DVD? Standalone DVD players are designed to play movie DVD's - these have a very specific file and folder structure. If you look at them in Windows Explorer, you can see folders like VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS, and files like .VOB .BUP and .IFO. The format of the videos on those is MPEG-2.*
You should be able to create such DVD's if you pick make movie DVD in the menu (it might ask you to have the files already authored (meaning with the special directory structure, and already converted to MPEG-2) using a DVD authoring program like Nero Vision I think). If you pick data DVD, it will just copy the data without any conversion (no conversion to MPEG-2 nor creation of the special directory structure).
I should note that if you created a movie with Windows Movie Maker, the output should be in Windows Media format (extension .wmv). Did you mean your source (original file) was .avi?

Other notes: Some DVD players can also play VCD's (also special structure, but MPEG-1, and on CD instead of DVD) and SVCD (like VCD's, but MPEG-2), and MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 data files. Newer DVD players can play certain data CD's and DVD's with AVI files encoded in the DivX or Xvid codecs. You can find them with the label "DivX-certified".

One last thought: check the type of media supported by your standalone DVD player. Perhaps you burned a DVD+R when it can only read DVD-R, or vice versa.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I finally got a video that would play on my DVD player. I had to create it as a Video CD. Nero 6 would not work when I used the DVD-Video option. I would get a message telling me that the file was more than 2GB (it's only a little over 2 MB) and ISO compilation could not be used. None of the other compliations (UDF and UDF/ISO) worked. (i tried everything just in case)

This is over my head technically but I did get a video that will play on my DVD player. I still find it strange I couldn't create a DVD Video.

At any rate, maybe I need to look into NeroVision. I just hate having to deal with another software program.