Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drive letter change help.

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Super32 
#1 ·
I am trying to take a slightly used 250g hard drive from an XP computer and copy the contents from my 80G Win 7 to replace it. I assume I need to change the drive letter on the 250 so when I slave it into the Win 7 machine it will recognize it.
The problem is the old XP machine will not let me changer the drive letter. I get the message "windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system or boot volume".
Any suggestions? Thanks.

#5 ·
You cannot Copy the contents from one HDD to another, you can Clone the 80GB drive to the 250GB drive using clone software.
How are you hooking up the drive? Are you plugging it in internally? Or using a USB Adapter? or a USB Enclosure?
When you attach a drive to another computer using either method, Windows automatically assigns the next available drive letter.
Once you have your drive plugged into the Windows 7 machine go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc Right click the diskmgmt results and Run As Administrator. Do you see the other HDD listed here? If so, if you need to change the drive letter you can right click it here and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths. Choose a drive letter that is not being used. If the drive is not showing up here, then check your connections to the drive.

#8 ·
I downloaded Acronis and tried to run it. I found out why. I should have it checked first,but I have a Hitachi 80G drive. The 250 is a WD.
When I tried to use Acronis it would start to work and then say something about a problem with the new 250. So I canceled. I thought it might be a problem with the drive from when I didn't have the connectors plugged in all the way. So I messed it up and used Acronis to erase the 250. Now Acronis will not run because it recognizes only the Hitachi.
I tried
How to Install a SATA Drive in a Windows 7 Desktop Computer - For Dummies.
Tried the New Simple Volume Wizard. Got the message "could not be performed i/o device error".
So I tried XXclone. I have used it before. It does not recognize the 250G.
Any suggestions?

#9 ·
Boot into Setup (Bios) with both drives hooked up to the computer. On the Main page, you should see both drives in the Bios. Formatting (erasing) a drive will not cause a drive to not be recognized in the Bios or by any clone software. If you do not see the 250GB Drive in the Bios, then the data cable, and or power plug needs to be changed or the port the data cable is plugged into the motherboard needs to be changed or the drive has failed. Try the drive on another computer. Once you can see both drives in the Bios, then the Clone software will see each drive.

#10 ·
I finally got the 250 recognized after doing the New simple volume steps. I went to clone the old drive and it ran for about 24 hrs and only cloned about 12%.I stopped it and i am waiting for a new drive. Something is wrong the 250, time to get rid of it. I'll let you know how things go with the new drive.

#13 ·
I believe what BosPatrollie was eluding to is, once you get a good drive, instead of cloning it over, just do a clean install of Windows on the new drive and then attach the 80GB drive as a slave and just copy your personal files over rather then try to clone it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.