Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Downloaded mp3 to mpga in IE6

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  UniversalBelief 
#1 ·
I recently installed Real Player. Since then, when downloading a .mp3 file in Internet Explorer, once the File Download box pops up, the filename is changed to .mpga format. If I just highlight the download link, the file will be named as .mp3. Also, I uninstalled Real Player, and this doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Any ideas? I don't want to have to keep renaming or converting files every time I download an mp3.. I'm really looking for a solution to the entire problem so that they'll download as mp3's again. Thanks in advance for all your help!

#2 ·
Sounds like, when you installed Real Player you did not select [Custom] and check your file associations. Or did not use the Real Player option to always reset file associations if another program changes it.

Actually, before installing any ADDITIONAL player, you should check what files are associated whit your current player or players, and make sure the file association of the new player are not in conflict.

I always uncheck ANY association conflict in a new player, then change them later to the player I want to be default for the file.

According to a Google hit for MPGA, = Mpeg-1 Layer3 Audio Stream and that links to Winamp. Bet you have Winamp installed and it is over-riding the file association for mpg. You need to disassociate mpg from Winamp.

#3 ·
Thanks! That seems to have done the trick. I didn't even thhink of the problem being with winamp. I've had winamp installed for a long time, and as I said I had just installed real player before the problem started, so naturally I thought that was what was causing it. I thought that if I uninstalled it it would fix the problem, but it didn't. I tried looking online for an answer in different forums all over and did a search on google myself but couldn't find a solution, so I thought I'd post it here. I really wasn't expecting anyone to be able to help me. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.