Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Don’t turn off or unplug your computer -Installing update 2 of 74

This is a discussion on Don’t turn off or unplug your computer -Installing update 2 of 74 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

What does this message exactly means to pc connected to Internet previously and afterwards not.

“Don't turn off or unplug your computer ;it will turn off automatically

Installing update 2 of 74”

Is there any problem if I turn off my pc if the process “2 of 74” ends because some time it takes much time and it tends to happen from time to time. And which files are up dated? Systems ones or what ?is it necessary or not? If not how can i disable this message that happens when I turn off my laptop.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can use the Windows start menu and initiate a shutdown and it will continue running, installing the updates and when finished it will shut down.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

you it takes much time sometimes so if i force to shut down will there be any problem. and that many take howmany times to appear because my friend is complaining that it take his time when he wants to leave from his working place.
merci beaucoup
Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It's not good to force a shutdown when the hard drives in use. The best thing you could do is turn off windows automatic updates and manually do them when you have time or change the updates schedule to a differnet time. Like I said before you can shut it down through windows and leave. When the updates are finished it will shut off on it's own.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

thank you for your good technical advice
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

If a computer and or OS advices you not to do something it's usually for a good reason also a good idea to listen.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Forcing computer shut down may corrupt system files. Let it do its work. And for future turn off the automatic updates.