Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc proc error on printer

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BIGBEARJEDI 
#1 ·
I have a dell dimension 4700 3gig dual core 1 gig of ram onboard sound,video,and internet card. My printer is an HP photosmart 4180 all in one. I got spyware or a virus a few weeks ago which my virus software got rid of, but now I get a doc proc error when I try to scan a document,which I know is usually caused by a virus or spyware. I could use a system restore or a full re-format which I do not want to do. The printer was given to me, but did not have the original software, which I had to download from the internet.

Is there any other to fix the doc proc error without a system restore or full format. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

kcbc

#2 ·
Go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. In the Add Remove Programs, uninstall any HP Printer and Scanner Software, Unplug the USB cable from the computer. Restart the computer. Go to the HP drivers site Software & driver downloads HP Photosmart C4180 All-in-One Printer | HP® Support Install the latest driver and software. During the install it will tell you when to plug in the USB Cable

#3 ·
You mention a possible virus, but you don't say what security anti-virus scans or malware checks you have done? Have you done this? Has your anti-virus or anti-spyware software identified any specific viruses on your computer? If so, can you please post back the EXACT names of the virus or viruses infecting your computer. If not, you could be just guessing. Follow Spunk's suggestions and reinstall the printer driver. If that fails to fix it, click the "Virus/Malware Help" in my Signature below and go to that sub-forum for help. They will help you identify/remove any possible viruses that still remain on your computer.

Of course, if you do both of those things and the problem persists, you will have NO CHOICE but to attempt a System Restore or a full Factory System Recovery with a full hard-drive wipe. Since you seem to know a little about viruses, you'll also know that there are hundreds of these little buggers that exist and specifically target different windows files controlling network access, application program access, video access, and audio access, and yes printer access! The problem is that when you yank out the offending virus and it's replicated copies, they are programmed with a trigger to permanently destroy both windows systems files related to printing as well as associated registry keys. This means that if after you remove the virus, and reinstall the printer drivers, windows still cannot communicate with the device because the windows environment has been irreparably damaged. System Restore will repair the less intrusive type damage, but if you have one of the really nasty strains of this particular virus I'm speaking of, your only choice will be to wipe your hard drive and do a Factory Recovery. Period.

Keep us posted on your progress. :thumb:

BIGBEARJEDI

#4 ·
Thanks guys for your replies, I will go to HP site and download the latest software for the printer. I'm not sure which virus they were, just let my ad aware virus software and super anti spyware run until they got them all out. One of those nights, was doing a home project and getting of the virus's. Thanks again.

kcbc

#5 ·
Hi kc:
Sure, glad to help. I just noticed that you posted "xp pro service pack 2" in your member profile. On any XP machine, especially a dell, you need to be at the latest OS service pack level which is XP PRO SP3 (service pack 3). Even though Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP earlier this month, on April 8th, you can still download the service pack for free on the Internet. HP writes it printer drivers to use the latest Windows system files, and if you don't have them on your hard drive, those new printer drivers are useless!!

Here's an official link for the service pack 3 from the Microsoft website. You won't be able to download the SP3 file directly; you'll have to download the file in .ISO FORMAT, and then click the IMGBURN link in my Signature below, and burn the .ISO file to a CD or DVD disc. Then you can install the SP3 update onto your 4700 from the disc through windows explorer.

Once you get the XP PRO SP3 installed, there's a good chance that will fix your printer problem, after you then download the latest hp printer drivers and install them.

If that STILL doesn't work, you're still going to be left with the dreaded SYSTEM RESTORE or FACTORY RECOVERY OPTIONS I discussed in my last Post.

Let's hope this works for you--sorry we didn't catch it earlier...

Best,
BBJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.