Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Do XP SP3 and updates slow down computer?

This is a discussion on Do XP SP3 and updates slow down computer? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I'm formatting and re-installing windows XP on my girlfriend's laptop, and I was wondering if it's best to install

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi.

I'm formatting and re-installing windows XP on my girlfriend's laptop, and I was wondering if it's best to install Service Pack 3 or not?

Her computer's pretty old and slow (1.6GHz, 504MB RAM) so I'm trying to keep the operating system as "Lite" as possible. Could I gain any speed benefits from *not* installing SP3, or from being selective about the updates I install? Or does it not really make much difference?

Cheers,
Robin.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

The main thing you are going to notice when adding programs or updates is that they will use hard drive space. In general the computer is not going to run slower because you installed an update. Most of the updates are simply patching security holes. In addition, SP3, like other service packs, is mainly a grouping of previous updates so that you can install them in one shot. Only a few new features are actually included. So most likely the system will not be slower. What's more, it appears you can uninstall SP3 if you encounter any issues.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Great! Thanks that's exactly the sort of reply I was looking for. Well in that case I'll just go ahead and install it all, and I guess it should be fine.

Cheers,
Robin.