Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Display/VNC doesn't work but file/service sharing works fine

1K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  marc200333 
#1 ·
Recently I'm getting some trouble with my home server and I thought I'll ask here before troubleshooting it myself (a bit short on time).

I didn't notice it for some time because it is fully automated and works by shared resources and telnet. I noticed it when I got back home and... nothing :D (lights, ventilation and many more are connected to it).

When I tried to use VNC it failed. When I went to the box and checked display there was no BSOD, just black screen, like when PC is connected to power but turned off. After restart everything worked fine. I set up some logging and dumps in case of error / bsod and left it be.

After one day I tried to use VNC and it failed, display was dead too. Services and shares worked FINE tho. Power off / restart buttons DIDN'T work, I had to hold off 4 sec.

After restart - logs clean, no dumps, main suspect VGA card.
What do you think, did you ever encountered anything similar? What can be failing? Most likely OS or hardware error?

#3 ·
Problem tracked down to a faulty task scheduler job running on administrator account and crashing some system processes. I turned off task scheduler service and left server be (woke up some automatic repair scripts too but they found nothing). If it works fine tomorrow problem is fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.