Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disabling USB's

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Chevy 
#1 ·
My USB's haven't been working for a while now, and i was told by an IT technician that there is a good chance it is because the USB Controller on the motherboard, isn't working anymore.

There I should get a USB PCI card with a controller, and disable the controller on the motherboard, and this can be done from the BIOS.

However, when i enter the BIOS im not quite sure what to disable. There is something called USB Legacy Support with i disabled, but it still doesn't work. So i was just wondering if there was anything else i needed to disable.

The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1340UK.

#2 · (Edited)
Was it a compaq tech who told you your usb ports weren't working anymore ? Do your usb controller appear in the device manager with a warning sign ? What's the error in device status when you double-click the controller ?

If it's your front USB ports that are not working, make sure the cable is connected to the motherboard

Try this troubleshooting, try to re-enable or re-disable legacy usb support in the bios and try to reinstall the usb controller :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&dlc=en&product=454824&rule=9518&lang=en

USB legacy support is only needed if you're using an usb keyboard or mouse.

#3 ·
I'vs treid to fix the USb ports and after many conversations with the people at compaq they have said it is likely to be a hardware fault. so i should get a usb pci card with controller and disable the one on the motherboard, through the bios. but i don't know how to do this, and i'd rather not call them at 60p/per minute.

#4 ·
Hi rkrulez

Have you tried going into Start>Run>type: devmgmt.msc >Enter and looking for USB Controllers and uninstalling the drivers, then reinstalling them from your motherboard manufacturers website?

Before saying they're corrupt, that would be my first stab.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok, but make sure you've tried every lead in that troubleshooting guide or else you will only be wasting 10$ for a usb pci card that may very well not work either on your computer.

On the other end, if the usb ports are not working because they're underpowered due to a failing PSU, adding a PCI card can also make your computer crash. May I ask that you try sensorsview pro to report your temps and voltages and that you tell us what you see in the device manager (right-click my computer => properties => hardware => device manager) ?

edit : Kalim just beat me on the device manager part :smile: Tell us what you see in the device status tab when you double-click the controller before you reinstall the driver. And make sure you have SP2 installed.

To install your pci card you probably don't need to disable any other settings in the bios. Simply turn the computer off, unplug the power cable, touch a metal part of the case before you handle internal components and insert the PCI card firmly in a straight direction in the pci port. Restart and Windows should detect it and install the usb drivers automatically.

#6 ·
You may have already taken these steps, but if not:

Go into Device Manager

Expand the USB section (click on the + sign)

From the last to the first, Right-Click each and select Uninstall

When there is no longer a USB section, close Device Manager

Reboot as normal

Reboot again.

Many times this clears up USB issues (even if there are no warnings or other marks in Device Manager).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.