Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

disabling dde on specific files via registry?

This is a discussion on disabling dde on specific files via registry? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I have a big issue. I work for an IT company, and one of our clients (a company) are

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello

I have a big issue. I work for an IT company, and one of our clients (a company) are having some trouble with the DDE service. Whenever they try to open a .doc(x)/xls/whateveroffice file, it takes ages to open. After troubleshooting for some hours, we found that disabling DDE for the specific filetype worked.

The problem is, that this company has over 100 machines, and we have to disable DDE on 5 filetypes on all of the machines. We do not want to disable the DDE service. Our idea is that the fastest way must be through a login script, but we don't really know how. I have now spent since monday trying to figure out how to do this through the registry, and with many, many failed attempts, I come here to ask for help.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
CCT
Helper

A similar issue(s) discussed here with various 'fixes';

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f57/...-xp-40164.html

Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

In the thread, dr_insanity explains exactly the same solution as I found. MY problem is, that I have to do this on ~100 computers, and to save time I want to do it through a script. So what I really need help with, is actually making that script. Simply removing /dde from the files does not work, I need to uncheck Use DDE.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
CCT
Helper

As described here, the JS method will likely fail as that would appear to be an attack.

http://bytes.com/groups/javascript/1...cript-vbscript

The suggestion of changing one key, exporting it, forwarding to all users and having THEM merge it would work better.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

My idea is to just have a simple .reg file that changes the value:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde
to
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /n %1

And also change whatever value that checks the "Use DDE" to be unchecked. This is my problem. I don't know what value in the registry does this. This is what I need help with finding.

I'll just use some simple dos commands that will edit the values and, through group policies, make every user that logs on run the script.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
CCT
Helper

I have been playing around in my XP Pro registry and have found that the DDE setting for various programs like Wordpad.exe (and I assume WinWord.exe) are in the Hkey_Classes_Root section.

Under Wordpad.Document.1 there is a subkey named shell with another subkey named open and below that a couple subkeys ONE of which is ddeexec.

I right-clicked mine and exported to a temporary location, deleted the ddeexec subkey, rebooted and no problems running Wordpad.

Reintegrating the removed subkey involves double clicking the exported .reg file.

So, you could experiment that far at least by finding WinWord in the Root files list.