Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DirectX10 on Win XP PRO fails - Streaming SIMD Extensions support required.

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  w.sky 
#1 ·
I have just installed Windows XP Pro on my machine. I've been using 2000 for a few years now and it has proved enough for my requirements, but some software no longer supports Windows versions earlier than XP, and since my machine will not run vista installing XP was a reasonable choice.

I've got as far as Direct X installation. The only game I play is World of Warcraft and although my machine isn't a flashy spec it runs WoW at a respectable speed. I downloaded the Nov 2008 Direct X full distribution from microsoft but the installation fails. Running the web setup version yields more information and it halts with the following dialogue box:
Title: Microsoft XAudio 2
Text: CPU does not meet minimum requirement; Streaming SIMD Extensions support required.
Options: OK

My system spec (if you cannot see it from my profile) is:
Athlon 1GHz, Abit KT7A-RAID MB, 1.5GB SD-RAM, Creative Soundblaster 128 PCI, nVidia GeForce FX 5600XT, Seagate 160GB PATA mech.

Fair enough you might think - this is an old set of kit, BUT all of this kit was fine to install DirectX 9.0c (below) a few months ago on my Windows 2000 Pro installation. The only thing that has changed is that Win XP is installed on a new HDD Mechanism, all other hardware is unchanged. For that reason I think there is more to it than the error message is letting on...
directx9.0c 9.24.1400 2008-08-18 directx_aug2008_redist.exe

I did find this other thread which seemed to be the same problem but the OP didn't reply to the posters asking for more information.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/gam...here-do-u-find-streaming-simd-extensions.html

I'd be grateful for any helpful replies on this topic.
Many thanks in advance
Paul

PS - I ought to point out that I'm using XP Pro SP3 and I've downloaded all updates from Microsoft update, including .net 1.1 and 2.0 which I think the nVidia drivers require. I've also tried both the nVidia drivers on my Win 2000 installation, and the latest versions and both have the same problem.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Dracia,

Thank you for your reply :)

I've found dxdiag which has confirmed that I do have DirectX 9.0c. This is concurred by the DirectX9.0c install I got from the microsoft website (dated 2004-08-04) which reports it has nothing new to install. I've just tried loading WoW and it doesn't complain about an out of date DirectX so it looks like the problem is resolved (and probably wasn't even there in the first place - I think I was thrown by the DirectX files reporting v5.x even though this is right for DirectX 9.0c).

I had thought that the new redist I downloaded from the Microsoft website (Nov 2008) would have offered a more useful error ("9.0c is already installed - this is the most up to date you can get on XP") but hey ho.

Many thanks
Paul

#4 ·
I think that in this case the real problem is, that the installer fails in checking the compatibility of some updates. I came across the same problem, when trying to install the latest DirectX (redist) update on an older AMD Athlon system.

And I found a workaround. By removing some specific cab files from the update folder, the installation of xactengine3_0.dll and greater, and XAudio2_0.dll will be skipped and the installer finishes without an error.

The cabinet files to be removed or disabled are:

Mar2008_XACT_x86.cab
Mar2008_XAudio_x86.cab
JUN2008_XACT_x86.cab
Aug2008_XACT_x86.cab
Nov2008_XACT_x86.cab

But even when the setup finishes now without an error with those files removed: All "xactengines" up to 3_3 and "XAudio" up to 2_3 have been placed in the system32 folder during the erroneous installations, before I found out which ones to disable. I wonder if I should manually remove them now, if they might later crash on the Athlon CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.