Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Desktop icons will now only auto-arrange.

This is a discussion on Desktop icons will now only auto-arrange. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have obviously affected a change to my system, perhaps my registery, that now causes my large assortment of desktop

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Question

I have obviously affected a change to my system, perhaps my registery, that now causes my large assortment of desktop icons to auto-arrange upon each boot or reboot.

I have tried all options available by the menu from right-clicking on the desktop. I am no longer able to rearrange the icons by selecting the options offered such as size, name, etc. If I manually rearrange them (and lock the desktop and/or save a "scheme"), they still auto-arrange on the next boot.

I can find no help in the "Help" section other than the above. Would anyone know how I can regain my ability to selectively arrange and keep the pattern of desktop icons?

Thanx!!

Old 04-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Send a message via MSN to JohnthePilot

If you are happy making changes to your registry try this. First, set a system restore point. Next, click on Start>run. In the box type "regedit". As an extra precaution click File on the top line then select Export. Name the file "backup" and save to your desktop. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. In the right hand pane there may be an item called "NoSaveSettings". If you don’t see this, add it as a binary value, by right clicking in the right hand pane and selecting "New" then "Binary". Type in "NoSaveSettings" without the quotes and enter the value: 00 00 00 00 If it already exists edit it to 00 00 00 00, then exit from regedit. See if that works. If it doesn't you can either delete the entry from the registry or import your backup. Let me know how you get on.

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Old 04-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

"JohnthePilot" -

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't seem to have any affect. I did change my existing "No save settings" value from [00 01 00 00] to [00 00 00 00], but I see no changes. The right-click/"arrange icons by" options still don't work, and after manually relocating an icon and resetting "lock desktop" I rebooted, but the icon was back in the auto-arranged grouping.

While you additionally suggested deleting the entry or importing the backup, I was unsure what you meant by "deleting the register entry" (delete "No save settings" or just the numerical changes) and I could not find my backup on the desktop when I looked...?

Have any other suggestions?

Incidentally...my paternal grandfather was born and raised in the Worcester area...not far from your current location. Small world sometimes, isn't it? Thanx for you time and effort, no matter what.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

I'm sorry that didn't work. I've found a link to a program that may help you. Click on this then scroll down to line 188. In the right-hand pane you'll see an entry "Add Save & Restore Desktop Layout to Menu". Click on this to download the zip file. Extrtact this and open the iconlayout.vbs file. This will add an entry to the right click on desktop drop down menu. See what that does. I can't try it as I don't have the problem, but Kelly's Lorner is very reliable. Let me know how you get on.

Yes, it is a small world. Worcester is only 30 miles down the road. More of a coincidence is that one of my fellow team members on the Articles Team, who lives in Adelaide, used to live in Cheltenham.

EDIT: I forgot to say that the instructions about using the backup or changing the default value only applied if anything went wrong. Otherwise the value will reset automatically, so you don't need to worry about it.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

To: JohnthePilot's second reply

As you proposed, I successfully added the option of saving the icon layout to the right-click menu, but unfortunately it doesn't work (as previously mentioned, the other options don't work either, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised).

It would seem that I've somehow done something which has affected the registry and it is overriding these features. I wonder what else it's affecting...??

Once again, thanks for your time and efforts.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Up

To: JohnthePilot (3rd message)

Pardonnez-moi.....after I last replied to you, I proceeded to put a little more effort into my problem. I happened to notice there was also now a "Restore destop icon layout" option added to my right-click menu. When I clicked on it, VOILA!!, my previously changed sample icon jumped to it's "saved" position. So you not only have to save a layout, but restore it manually each time you boot.

So it works!!!!...not automatically, which would be optimal, but at least you've found a solution!!!!...bless your little heart..hah!

Thanx again!!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:17 AM   #7
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Well, that's still only half an answer and I haven't got the other half. If I come across anything else I'll let you know. In the meantime, someone else may have a better idea.

Regards,
John.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
In the meantime, someone else may have a better idea.
I'd rather just wait around & watch, just in case you get kissed . . .

Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girderman View Post
I'd rather just wait around & watch, just in case you get kissed . . .

Voyeur
Haven't you got anything else better to do?

@hhannam
See what we have to put up with?

Closed Thread