Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DESKTOP and LAPTOP Same IP number

5K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Wand3r3r 
#1 ·
I am learning networking: I set up a HP desktop and HP laptop on a secure wireless network. I have a Linksys cable modem and router.

I got help from this forum a everything seemed to be fine. THe IP address of the desktop and laptop were the same except for the last 3 numbers the desktop was 100 and the laptop was 101. THat was fine. THe wireless network was working OK with file sharing working.

Unfortunately I down loaded a program (DROPBOX) on to my laptop and tried to sysc it with my desktop, but everything then went wrong. I have now removed this program from both computers.

I reset my LINSKYS Cable Modem anD reconfigured it to my desktop; it worked fine set up as a network wirelessly. Now NEXT when I am working with my laptop I am running in to problems. The IP address on the laptop is now exactly the same as the HP desktop! Now they are both the same address (last 3 numbers 101).

I have them on the same wireless network execept that on the laptop I get a message saying that the network is unsecured.

So my question is how did this happen adn how can I reestablish the the IP address as 100 and 101 on the desktop and laptop, respectively.

Angus

See less See more
#2 ·
You input 192.168.1.1 to your address bar in IE.

That'll get you to the router.

If you set an Admin name or password, use it/them - click OK.

DHCP Server has to be enabled.

In the setup area, starting IP will be 192.168.1.100

Max Number of DHCP is normally auto at 50 (who knows why?)

Get that working first.

#3 ·
DEsktop is working now and I have the address I wantt ie. 100! Now the laptop is not getting a signal from the router. I get a message "acquiring network address" but it never does pick up the addressf rom the router. I could connect royter to laptop with a cable?

#5 ·
I tried shuttign the laptop off an don, but it did not work. I did connect up an ethernet cable between the router and the laptop adn the laptop did get the internet signal.

But when I configure the laptop to peform wirelessly on the wireless network then I disconnect the hardwire cable betweeen the laptop and the router. The laptop cannot pick up the signal from the router. Meanwhile the desk top is still working wirelessly.

#6 ·
Do you still have the same IP on the laptop as the desktop? Or is it different? (Right click on the Wireless icon in systray, then click 'Status' then 'Support'. Make note of the subnet mask and default gateway numbers). I'm talking about when the laptop is trying to connect via WiFi, not via the cable.

#7 ·
When I check teh IP address in teh laptop now ther are now only 0.0.0.0. messages fro the addresses. So teh laptop is not able to pick up the wireless sigal from the router, but it does pick it up when it is cable connected. So there is a fundamental pobolem with the laptop settings.
An suggestions are appreciated. It seems thi smust be a well precedented problem, but I do not know teh answer.

#10 ·
That's too long. Should only take a few seconds. Could you tell me if you have that icon? If not we'll get to it another way. If you do have it, rgt click, click on 'View available wireless networks' and tell me what is there. Your computer might be trying to get on an unavailable network. But at least it should show your in-the-house WiFi. If your home WiFi is shown as a choice, click 'Connect'.

#11 · (Edited)
Well, looks like you've turned in.

Here's what I'd do in your situation, where I was trying to lead you...rgt click on the WiF icon, click on 'Status', then 'Properties', that opens 'Wireless Network connection properties'. Scroll down the list of items, click on (highlight) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click on 'Properties'. Click on 'Use the following IP address'. Enter the .101 address you want to use (that should be one number over what the other computer shows as it's IP). In 'Default Gateway', enter what your other computer has. Then click 'Use the following DNS server address'. Enter the same address as you entered for the default gateway, or use what IPCONFIG shows on the working computer. Click OK, back out, reboot and see it that makes a difference.

#13 ·
There is a good guide from Linskys, but my Linskys wireles router is>5 years old. It is model WRT54G V 4. The online guide recommends "WEP", but today the Linskys chat support gave me "WPA Personal" option for security settings of the router , that is accessed by http://192.168.1.1. Now this is working on both the desktop and laptop (touch wood). Now this setting is the one that has made the difference. At an earlier date when I had the network working (yesterday) on both computers I must have selected it by chance.{ Nowadays I have Windows SP3. When I first created the network I had SP2.}

#17 ·
Yes; Thank you I am up an running now and I have a second laptop that I put on the network. It is an old one running on Window 2000.

I need to look at how to include MAC filtering: By the way need to find out what MAC means! Presumably it pertains to my unique router's configuration?

I did not give the router its own password; I have become just a litle paranoid now. I do not have a good basic understanding of what I am doing. I need to get some books to study. I will be gettign a new desktop PC so so it will have Windows 7.0. I am considering Dell or again HP.

Thanks for you rhelp;

Angus

#18 ·
MAC address = Media Access Control unique computer system ID.

You can get yours in XP by clicking Start, Run and typing in cmd /k then getmac.

It comes under the Physical address heading.

Probably the same in 2000 - I dunno.

Keeps neighbours and alien spacecraft from using your internet service.

:)

#19 ·
"You can get yours in XP by clicking Start, Run and typing in cmd /k then getmac"

I tried above , but it did not work. Run followed by cmd /k takes me to C:\documents setting\HP owner, but getmac does not progress my cause.

Is teh MAC address for one specific computer (e.g desktop) or is it the router ?

Do I have one MAC address for each of the computers on my network? Would I have a MAC address for each router I have? (now I only have one router on my network).

Please can you elaboraet somewhat,

Angus

#20 ·
The MAC address is the unique hardware address of the NIC card of your computer. Try going to Start/Run and type CMD and hit enter. In the Command Prompt type ipconfig /All the Physical Address is your Mac Address of your Computer.

#22 ·
If you want to set up MAC address filtering (the router will only give internet access to the computers that have the MAC address added to the router setup, under Mac Address Filtering in the router setup) Then yes, this is an added security feature if you feel that your wireless pass phrase has be compromised.

#23 · (Edited)
A MAC is assigned at the factory to any piece of gear that is capable of accessing the internet. So, your computer NIC (Network Interface Card) has a MAC, your WiFi hardware has one, your router has one, the modem you get from your ISP has one. And on and on.

MAC filtering is optional in your router and is a very strong level of security. While you're adding a password to the router, look around for a MAC filtering setting. Allow your two computers MAC's (that you find with ipconfig /all) and block any other MAC. That way, only your two computers can get on your internet connection. Unless you don't install a password for your router, then anyone with even a small amount of knowledge can get into your router via WiFi and configure it so they can use your bandwidth for free.

#24 ·
One concept is setting a password on the router for router administration access. This is the first thing you do when setting up a router since the whole world knows the default account and password.

The second concept is setting both the level of wireless encryption as well as a alphanumeric passphrase for that encryption.

Mac filtering, limiting dhcp scope, not doing remote access to the router, enable auditing are additional steps that can help secure your router.

Key is WPA2 and a strong passphase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.