Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

dell xp disk install on gateway laptop?

This is a discussion on dell xp disk install on gateway laptop? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm looking to install XP Pro on a Gateway laptop (came with vista home premium). All I have access to

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm looking to install XP Pro on a Gateway laptop (came with vista home premium). All I have access to are the Dell XP disks.

My question is this...I have an xp key (from a different Dell that is being scrapped). Can I use this key with the Dell XP disc to install XP on the Gateway laptop?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

and welcome to the Forum

That would violate the EULA that you agree to when you install. The Key from the Dell that is being scrapped died with that pc.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

in addition to being a violation of eula licenses, different computers, different drivers,manufacturers oem disks only provides the drivers for their specific models. Most cases will not work on any other computer.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome and for the info. I have no problem getting the drivers, etc but I don't want to install anything that would cause any grief for the person using the laptop.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Does the laptop have a Product Key on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Also, make sure that this particular model laptop has drivers available for XP. If the computer shipped with Vista, then Gateway probably doesn't have drivers for it.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcteach View Post
Thanks for the welcome and for the info. I have no problem getting the drivers, etc but I don't want to install anything that would cause any grief for the person using the laptop.
to be legal most based on what you said, you will need to install a full retail version of xp. You cannot use oem, you cannut use one that came with another computer and you cannot use an upgrade version.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

The laptop has a product key sticker for Vista Home Prem, but I don't have that disk...only Ultimate.

Here's the whole story in case anyone has any other ideas for me...

A guy I work with was given a laptop, but he can't access the desktop because he does not know the vista login password (and can't get it). There is no admin account either. He asked me for help and I'm just trying to figure out my options to get him a useable laptop.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Best way is to get a OEM Vista Home Premium disc . . preferably from Gateway

Gateway Store: Recovery Media Purchase Program

Closed Thread