Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Dell Inspiron Mini will not connect to internet

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron Mini will not connect to internet within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am trying to connect a Dell Inspiron Mini to my home wireless network. It was working last week

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I am trying to connect a Dell Inspiron Mini to my home wireless network. It was working last week with no problems. The status icon shows that it is connected to the network and gives an IP address. However, when I try and view a webpage I get "The page cannot be displayed". I have tried to "Diagnose Connection Problem" and it says there are no issues.

I have tried the ipconfig /release, ipconfig /flushdns, and ipconfic /renew and that spits out a new IP address but still no connection. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Go to the Control Panel/Internet Connections. Right click your Local Area Connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP) hit Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address Automatically is checked as well as Obtain a DNS Server Address Automatically. Browse to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc open the Hosts file with Notepad. Delete any lines after
127.0.0.1 localhost
Save the file. Do the ipconfig release, flushdns, and renew again.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

The computer is set to look for IP automatically as well as DNS Server Address. In the Hosts file there was only 127.0.0.1 localhost so there was nothing to delete. Any other suggestions?