Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Dell Inspiron E1505 freezes when power is plugged/unplugged

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron E1505 freezes when power is plugged/unplugged within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I've had this issue for some time now but no real resolution. I'm running Windows XP SP2, latest

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I've had this issue for some time now but no real resolution.

I'm running Windows XP SP2, latest updates, etc. on a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.

Basically, and this is intermittent, but often enough to be a problem, when I remove the power cord (either from the wall/power supply, or remove the plug from the back of my laptop) the computer just freezes up:

- The screen goes completely black (although not as black as when the computer is completely off)

- the computer is still 'on' (though not responding), power light is still on, any lights that were already on (NUM LOCK, etc. are still lit up)

- the computer is frozen (I can't see the screen, but I can confirm this because for example if I press cap-locks or the key combo to disable the wireless networking, the lights on my keyboard stay the same)

The only way to recover is to force a shutdown and restart the laptop.

I have contacted Dell regarding this, but they said it's not a hardware problem, and most likely some kind of system conflict. Of course their advice (as always) is to re-install Windows.

I have confirmed that it appears to be a system problem, because I booted the laptop off a Linux live CD, and then tested multiple times to remove the power plug and I could never replicate the problem.

I'm trying to find a solution where I don't have to completely reformat and start over as I have a lot of programs installed.

Any advice would be appreciated. And if anyone else has a Dell laptop with this problem I'd be interested in hearing about this.

Thanks
Nathalie

Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

how long have you had this laptop for, i think you need to replace the batter because it is getting old. as for the dark screen it does that so the laptop doesn't use soo much batter. in you laptop look for key that has fn written on it hold that and find another key with a start sign and a plus with it. hold fn and press the +start the screen will go brighter. what setting ahve you put for your batter some you can set to use full pc performance or normal so batter is saved etc.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi

thanks for the reply but that's not the problem.

The computer is less than a year old, and I don't mean it goes dark like when you pull the plug and it's on low-brightness.

The screen is basically off. I cannot see anything on the screen.

And as I mentioned the computer is also completely frozen.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

hi Nathalie,

it is good that you tried it with the live CD. at least now we know that it has something to do with the XP files. at this point, make your back ups now as there is no saying what might happen in the next few days.

going back... have you tried windows repair? if not, check this link out and may be try the steps suggested... http://www.informationweek.com/news/...questid=160599
Old 04-08-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

it must be a faulty hardware or something relating to graphics card. i am not very sure on this one, have you tried using another battery to see if you get the same problem. you see it is less than one year well you have a 12 month guarantee and the should be able to fix it for you.

try this if it works. click on start then run and type scf /scannow. this will open a new windows when it says insert cd put your recovery cd and click retry. this will remove any missing dll files or others.
by the way when the screen scashes or freezes can you press ctrl+alt+del. my friend had a similiar problem i told him to take out the power cable and the batter while the computer is off and then put it back after a while and it solved his problem. you could give it a try .
Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 AM   #6
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

it could be the way you have configured the power option in your system. for example this site will explain it better for you it is a pdf file format. http://www.htc.com/uploadedFiles/Com...le-standby.pdf.

what resolution settings have you got. right click on your desktop then go to properties then settings tab now change the resolution lower and the colour quality to 16bit. then click the advance button below it and then click adapter tab it will display your graphics manufacturer and version i suggest you update once done now take the power cable off does it happen again if so.

boot your pc then keep pressing f8 or f9 try f8 first and choose safe mode once in safe mode now unplug the cable if problem happens again reboot pc then press f8 and choose vga mode and then unplud again untill one work.
sorry for the bad language, i know it is now very clear.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

If you only have the problem when the system is running from Windows off the hard drive then I am almost certain the hardware itself is not part of the problems.

I also recommend checking the power management settings in Windows. Due to the odd behavior I would suggest changing the settings then changing them again to the values you actually want to use, even if they were correct to begin with. Most of these settings are stored in the registry. While I haven't seen it with the power management settings specifically, I have seen similiar problems in the past where the settings window shows one thing, but the registry setting was either different or not there at all (and thus causing problems). By changing the settings, saving the changes and then changing them back to what you want, you are ensuring that the displayed settings are actually what the registry has set.

I would also recommend backing up your data, as TriggerFinger suggested. If nothing else, you'll have a good backup of your data, even if you don't need it now. At worst, by having a backup it will be easier to get things set back up if a clean install ends up being the solution.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate
Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks

yes I back up regularily.

For now I have changed my settings to 16-bit color from 32-bit color and will try that for a few days and see if I have the problem again.

Since it doesn't happen all the time, and since I don't unplug my laptop more than once or twice a day it's a bit hard to troubleshoot.

I have disconnected the power a few times today and so far so good but it's too soon to tell if it's because of this one change.

As for resolution, I'll try changing it to something else and then back to the optimum resolution as you suggested, what you said makes sense.

Yes I agree it's probably not hardware related.

I also noticed that when I unplug the power in Windows, I get a split second "flicker" of the screen (and quick black screen for a split second before the image comes back) but when I tested off a live Linux CD I didn't get that at all.

I apreciate all your replies and will see how it goes for the next few days.

Thanks
Nathalie
Old 07-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
Registered Member

Mine does the same thing too! I also have a Dell Inspiron E1505 SP2 with the latest updates. I just force it to power off and restart it and forget about it. Did you get your problem solved, Nathalie?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hi!

No still have this problem and it bugs the crap out of me.

It doesn't happen very often, but still.

It is usually either from closing the lid on the laptop, and then it just freezes up, or if I unplug the power cord from the back, when the screen flickers, instead of just dimming it goes completely black and computer freezes.

The computer is frozen when this occurs as for example if I press the CAP LOCKS key, the light on the computer for cap locks doesn't light up, and any lights already on just stay on.

I always have to do a hard shut down too.

Do you also ever get a blue screen sometimes stating a Hardware Error?

I get that too once in a while. Dell had me run all their diag tests but all hardware passed, so they keep telling me it's an OS or software issue.

Nathalie
Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
Registered Member

I don't recall getting that particular blue screen. But my computer does exactly as you described sometimes when I pull the power cord out of the back of my laptop.

I'm having more problems with mine and was searching for help for those when I ran across yours and it reminded me that I have that happen sometimes too!

I need to run the Dell Diagnostics test I suppose... I know nothing of what I'm doing when my computer is messed up!

Good luck getting your glitch fixed! It's the least of my worriest at the moment!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:06 AM   #12
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

try going to Microsoft website and download latest updates or install service pack 2. Alternatively you can backup uoir data and try installing the operating system again but you do need to be aware that you will need the drivers as well.
i hope this problem is solved.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to Tedmouse

ALL e1505's are like that
infact if you are playing a game and pull the poer cord out or put it in you cause system lock up
then you have to restart fully
then there is the video issue that cause's lockup you must reinstall your video drivers
then the worst issue into it all is where your xp is damaged no matter how hard you try you can't fix it. you have to delete partition then refix partiton then reinstall
this will fix all issues with damaged system files sadly
it is a system 32 program in the xp that gets infected or miss used then stops working all together
all in all that the isse by a long shot
Old 03-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
Registered Member

Recently, I am having issues with my Inspiron 1501 (running Windows XP Pro with service pack 3) blacking out the screen and locking up the computer while I am in the middle of doing something or doing nothing (computer sitting idle). There is no rhyme nor reason that I have been able to determine. The computer could have been on for hours or a relatively short amount of time. The only way to get this to clear is to hold the power button down until the computer shuts down. I can then press the power button again and the computer comes right back up with no errors or messages or hard drive check for shutting down improperly. There is nothing there, it isn't a matter of it just isn't visible (some threads have suggested looking at the screen with a flashlight or hooking up an external monitor, neither changed the issue). I have checked power management settings and it isn't set to go into hibernation, do anything when the lid is closed, and to ask what to do when the sleep button is pressed.

Also, when I shut down (Window logo key -> Turn off computer -> Shutdown), it starts out as normal and then gets to a point and freezes/locks up. I seem to recall this at the final step before the computer should shut off. Again, the only way to shut down is to hold down the power button. Same thing applies...I can press the power button and the computer comes right back up with no errors or messages or hard drive check for shutting down improperly.

I have tried doing "System Restore" and this too will lock up the computer when restore goes to restart the computer. Same stuff regarding shut down or restart as previously stated. Also, out of all the restore points that I have tried, I have had few successful restores. Get the typical message about not being able to restore to date/time selected and no files were changed.

I have purchased and run various scans and diagnostics (not Dell), as well as Driver Detective, and have no spyware, malware or virus detected by any of these programs. I have searched the net until I am cross and blurry eyed. I have run across some threads on various sites, none of which seems to be current information (mostly 2 years or older) or an exact replication to these issues.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.