Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Deleting a Windows install off of a Slave HDD

This is a discussion on Deleting a Windows install off of a Slave HDD within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ok here's the deal. i installed a Slipstream of XP SP2 on my computer. and it seems as tho it

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
TSF Veteran

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to norin

ok here's the deal. i installed a Slipstream of XP SP2 on my computer. and it seems as tho it installed by default onto my Slave Drive. before the install of XP i used the Slave HDD as a storage drive. meaning i only stored files and data and such on the drive. never installed anything to it.

i want to know how i can delete this windows install without harming my data i have on there. in the windows XP setup util after boot. i can delete the partition but won't that delete my files as well?

i suppose i could copy over my sensitive data and wipe the HDD clean then copy back over. but i would like to know how to kill the windows install without harming my files. as this seems a better task than to waste more time moving files back and forth and formating.

thank you for the help in advance.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf
If you booted to your primary drive with the slave set up as a slave, you could just remove all windows files from the slave drive, as they will be in d:\windows or d:\program files

Assuming you didn't put your other files in those folders you should be able to go through and by deleting a couple folders be done with it...assuming it doesn't have the files write protected.

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Closed Thread