Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Deleted files do not go to Recycle Bin

This is a discussion on Deleted files do not go to Recycle Bin within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I give below my computer details : 1. Intel Dual Core Processor 2. Windows Xp Prof Sp3 (latest Windows updated)

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

I give below my computer details :

1. Intel Dual Core Processor
2. Windows Xp Prof Sp3 (latest Windows updated)
3. 1 Tb hard disk divided into 4 partitions each using less than 45% of partition space
4. Maximum size of Recycle Bin (percent of each drive) has been tweaked to 100%
5. Normally all my data files are more than 500 MB to 1500 MB

When some files or directories are deleted by mistake and immediately realizing mistake I try to restore them from Recycle Bin, I find not all but only a few available. There is no chance of deleted data being overwritten by newer files.

I need help for proper tweak or software to ensure all files go to Recycle Bin.

Please help.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

you could right click on the recycle bin icon, and go to properties. See how much space is put aside for the recycle bin, if necessary alter it.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

"You could right click on the recycle bin icon, and go to properties. See how much space is put aside for the recycle bin, if necessary alter it"

I am not able to find "how much space is put aside" for there is no such way to find it. If however you mean the following option:

Maximum size of Recycle Bin (percent of each drive)

I have already told in my original post, it has been tweaked to 100%
Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
CCT
Helper

Mictlantecuhtli
TS Special Forces posted Jan 10,2005:

"The \recycler directory has "hidden" and "system" attributes set, so you don't see it in Windows unless you've selected to "Show hidden files and folders" and unselected "Hide protected operating system files" in Windows Explorer's folder options (it's in Tools menu).

Once you see the recycler directory, try this:

Rename it to something else, like recycler2. Then delete a file (create an empty text document or something, for example). Explorer should create a new \recycler directory. Then delete recycler2. Maybe this helps."

Weird Recycle Bin Problem - TechSpot Forums
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

If a file is too large for the Recycle Bin it will come up with a quick message telling you it is too big for the recycle bin and asking if your want to delete it anyways, you may just have clicked past that. If you want to restore a file that you deleted accidentally try using Recuva.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

There are number of circumstances under which a file will not go to the recycle bin:

1. The file is too large.
2. Files deleted from the command line.
3. Files deleted from within applications often do not. This is up to the application designer. Sometimes there is an option in the application preferences, most often there is not.
4. Files that are overwritten are not actually deleted, thus do not go to the recycle bin.

There really isn't anything you can do about these cases, except exercise greater caution about what you delete.

This is just one reason why you need a backup of important files. In addition to accidental or malicious deletion files can be lost due to malware and various forms of hardware failure. The recycle bin is of no help in the latter cases.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

To add to what LMiller said, also if you download files from a Network drive, they will not go to the Recycle Bin.

Closed Thread