Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Date and time settings won`t stay!

This is a discussion on Date and time settings won`t stay! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have recently upgraded my pc and re-installed my windows xp pro genuine advantage kit. All is well except my

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to whitehawk625

I have recently upgraded my pc and re-installed my windows xp pro genuine advantage kit. All is well except my date and time settings won`t stay set. I have tried from the taskbar to reset and from the boot up settings. As soon as i shut down the pc, the next time i boot up it sets itself to 1/1/2005 00.01a m. I have tried to update from the internet time server but each time get an error message saying the last known configuration could not be found.
If anyone can help it would be great, this thing is driving me nuts. If it helps, the new motherboard is a winfast 6100K8MD and it has an amd 64 4000 processor.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Usually this is an indication of a bad CMOS battery. (the little battery on the motherboard.)

Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazijoe View Post
Usually this is an indication of a bad CMOS battery. (the little battery on the motherboard.)
I concurr with Crazijoe. You'll have to open the case and look for a small, thin silver disc type battery (a little smaller than a quarter). It is often in the lower, right side of the motherboard. Unfortunately on older motherboards the CMOS battery was soldered to the socket. On newer boards the battery is removeable and can be replaced.

I just noticed from your original post that you have upgraded your PC. If you replaced the motherboard with your upgrade it is possible that you forgot to install the battery or it might not even be in there. Also, check to see if it was installed up-side-down. I don't know if this would cause any problems but it is worth a check.

Good luck.

Lydokane
Old 03-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Also, some motherboards are shipped with the CMOS jumper set to clear. Check in the manual to make sure this isn't the case.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to whitehawk625
Have located the battery - it seems to be fitted ok but will get it checked out. Motherboard jumper settings are ok, so lets hope it is a battery problem. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #6

My motherboard will sometimes boot with the CMOS jumper in the clear position, but the CMOS will clear itself at next restart.

You could also have some metal inside the case shorting the clear CMOS jumpers together. Or possibly a defective board, like maybe a bit of solder or other debris under the motherboard causing problems. Maybe one of those brass "stand-offs" or a screw under the motherboard.