Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a bootable USB on XP

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I am trying to create a rescue bootable USB flash drive using the free version of macrium to image my HD. When I do that Reflect gives the message that the boot disk was successfully created and it asks to use the flash drive to reboot my computer to verify it works well. When I do and I slect USB from the menue I get the message "missing operating system" and it freezes there. What I could do to bypass this issue

#2 · (Edited)
Macrium creates an Image file, it is not a bootable OS to install.
You need to save your Image to a USB HDD or other medium. Then create a Macrium Rescue CD or USB Flash Drive, then Boot from the newly created CD or USB and from there, choose to Restore a Backup or Image and browsing to the saved Image file on the USB HDD or other medium, to restore your OS.

#4 ·
The issue is in the creation of rescue USB flash drive. Once created it is not recognized by xp
How are you creating your USB Flash Drive? Click on the Macrium link in post #2 and follow the instructions for Creating an ISO image. Save this image and then use Rufus to burn the Macrium Rescue ISO image to a USB Flash Drive. then put it into the troubled computer and restart. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot Tab. Your flash Drive should be listed as a boot option, or USB, move that to First Boot device. Save and Exit. Restart and It should boot from the USB flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.