Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin's computer can't shutdown

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Geekgirl 
#1 ·
I've been to four other computer forums, and even though they said different answers, they all couldn't help me. So maybe you guys has more luck.

The situation is, that my cousin's computer can't shutdown when initiated via windows XP. It can neither standby nor hibernate through the same way. The only way I can turn it off, is to hold the power button for a few seconds.

Her computer is in an Antec minitower case, with an Antec PSU (330watts) and both were installed after the original Compaq case and PSU went south about a year ago. Other specs include an Intel celeron 1.2ghz processor, 512mb RAM, an ATI Radeon 9200 video card that was recently installed (but was working perfectly for a couple of weeks), and originally it had integrated graphics. Of course, it has a 40gb hard drive and one liteon DVD reader and a POS no name CD burner.

Originally, I had the computer use the welcome screen to let users login, but I tried to use the ctrl+alt+del method (where you had to type in the name and password) and it freezes at a blank light blue screen. When it had the welcome screen, it frozed on the "windows is turning off your computer" (or something similar to that effect: its been a long day). I tried it in safe mode, and it freezes at the shutting down screen. I also deselected every service and startup items in msconfig so only the basics starts up automatically (basically barebones to get the OS running) and that still doesn't work.

I'm so fed up with this, that I'm a day away from reformatting it. Virus scans and adware/spyware scans came up clean (I used NOD32, spybot, and adaware) but everything else runs perfect on the computer. I recently did a disk check and defragmented it but it still doesn't change. Finally, there's no related errors in the event viewer.

Can anyone else help me?

See less See more
#2 ·
Does your cousin have his windows xp install disk? if so, put that in the cd drive, and then type 'sfc /scannow' in start->run... dialog. This will check for corrupt system files and replace them if it finds them.

Also, could you give us links to the other forums, so we can see what has not worked? Thanks.

#4 ·
The situation is, that my cousin's computer can't shutdown when initiated via windows XP. It can neither standby nor hibernate through the same way. The only way I can turn it off, is to hold the power button for a few seconds.
How far in the shut down process is the system getting? “Powerdown issues” are quite distinctive from “shutdown issues.” A shutdown problem is one wherein Windows doesn’t make it at least to the “OK to shut off your computer” screen (if applicable). If Windows gets that far, or farther, then it has shut down correctly. However, the computer may not powerdown correctly after that. This is a different problem.
If you have Nero CD-burning software (versions 5.0-5.5) installed on your computer, and invoke Standby or Hibernation modes more than once in a Windows session, the computer will hang on the “Preparing to...” screen and not go into Standby or Hibernation. SOLUTION: Uninstall Nero completely, and keep your eyes open for a new version of the program down the road. (Reference: MSKB 331506.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.