Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Copy hal.dll file to system32 folder

This is a discussion on Copy hal.dll file to system32 folder within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Got hal.dll corrupt message. Removed HD and put it into an external Drive case and booted another computer running XPSP3.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Grin

Got hal.dll corrupt message. Removed HD and put it into an external Drive case and booted another computer running XPSP3. Now want to copy a good hal.dll file from machine that's running to the HD that I removed.

For some reason I can't see the sytem32 folder on the OS drive F that I connected via USB. Made sure that view files had view all files and show all extensions. Can see system32 folder on c:\windows drive but not on the F: drive even tho the F:\drive has winXP Home OS and windows folder.

also searched for hal.dll file and only the cab versions showed in the search; the one I want to rename and replace in the system32 folder did not show in the search. Is is conceivable that some virus wiped out the system32 folder?

Any reason why this approach-- copying a good hal.dll file from one drive to another-- wouldn't work?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Registered Member

put your HD back in original tower and fix with windows cd.
or
there is a way to copy a file through command prompt. look it up it's a bit more complicated
open command prompt
you get c:\document and settings\administrator>
(find your good hal.dll and type)
c:\document and settings\administrator>copy c:\windows\system32\hal.dll d:\windows\sytem32
and that should do it

say i want to copy a file called test.txt from drive d: to drive c:
dir d:(here you see test.txt)
copy d:\test.txt c:\
1 file copied
dir c:
test.txt is now there as well

Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdon View Post
Any reason why this approach-- copying a good hal.dll file from one drive to another-- wouldn't work?
There are 7 different versions of the hal.dll file. There are two other files that have to match the version of the hal.dll file that is in use, or the system might not boot.

So you have to use the correct one and rename it.

Also, it's more often a corrupt boot.ini file rather than an actual problem with the hal.dll file.

Not sure why you can't see the System32 folder, unless it's also had the System attribute set and you don't have the system set to show system folders, so double check the View settings:

To change View Settings to show hidden and system files:
In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View tab
Check the following:
  • Display the contents of system folders (not present in Win2K/Vista)
  • Show hidden files and folders
Uncheck the following:
  • Hide extensions for known file types (WinXP/Vista)
  • Hide file extensions for known file types (Win2K)
  • Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
See this post for steps to fix this using the Recovery Console. A live CD or connecting the drive to a different PC also works, just need to use the correct drive letter (If you can get the System32 folder visible). Haven't heard of malware deleting the entire folder, as so many of those files are in use you'd think something would be left.

How to fix the missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll error.
Closed Thread