Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer Won't Read Hard Drive on Boot-up.

This is a discussion on Computer Won't Read Hard Drive on Boot-up. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm sorry, this might be a long story. Basically, I need a list of all the possible causes for a

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

I'm sorry, this might be a long story. Basically, I need a list of all the possible causes for a computer not reading a hard drive on boot up. It's hooked up properly, and it was reading that it was there before.

About a year ago, my PC started acting suspicious. I moved across the country with it. It took a while to get here. I plugged it in, and it wouldn't read the hard drive. I assumed the drive had failed. I didn't have any money to replace it, so I had to wait until Christmas to get a new drive. But I also couldn't afford to buy a system disk. I had to wait until today to get one.

Now I have the disk. I disconnected the extraneous drive, checked the connections on the new drive, and booted up the computer with the system disk in place. It started installing, but then the install program said that there was no drive. I rebooted, and pressed F8. The BIOS program-a-ma-bob said the drive was there. It listed the serial number and everything, on Channel 0. It said Channel 1 had no drive. Not a surprise, since there is no Channel 1. I only have my new drive hooked up.

I called my brother, who used to work in a computer store. We figured out that I had the cable hooked up to the wrong SATA input on the mother board. (Oddly, I'm pretty sure that I was running my old slave drive off that connection just fine.) I hooked it up to the one marked PRI SATA. I booted the computer up again, and it no longer had the BIOS error and appeared to be booting up just great.

Then, all of a sudden, it gave me some clock error. My brother told me what it meant, but I forget. Basically the computer had been doing too much at once, or something. So we powered it down, and I pulled the watch battery of the motherboard for a minute. Then I snapped it back into place. This was supposed to reset something in order to fix the error.

We booted the computer up again. This time, it wouldn't read the drive at all. It doesn't give me an F8 option. If I press TAB at the right time, I get a menu that lists the drives. It isn't on there. Just my floppy and my DVD drive. I have no idea why. All the cables are connected. I'm starting to wonder if it might not be the hard drive at all.

I tried rebooting a million times, and I keep getting the same result. I can't figure it out. My brother lives 5000 kms away, so he can't actually look at the computer. He threw his hands up in the air.

I desperately want to get this computer running, so I can set up a recording program on it and finally record some music. But I just can't afford to take the thing into a computer store. Any help/advice?

Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #2

As for the drive not being recognized now, you either don't have the power plug plugged in or the CMOS battery is not plugged in properly. Check you power connections and reset the battery. The computer looks to the Prim SATA channel first to boot off of, so you must have the SATA cable plugged in. You may need to look for a setting under Drives or SATA or something in the Bios that is set for Legacy or IDE not AHCI. Once that is set, the install disc should recognize the drive. If not then you will have to slipstream your SATA drivers for your motherboard into your XP Disc using nLite.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Set your Sata in your bios to ide or legacy. If not, then windows has no sata drivers, and follow what spike2me said
Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hey, thanks a lot guys. I didn't expect such a speedy reply! I'm going to try that stuff right now. Maybe the CMOS battery didn't snap back into place all the way. If it doesn't work, I'll need to know a couple things... like:

What is nLite? What is slipstreaming?

I'll brb.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay. More weirdness. But I think this might be progress!

The battery and the power supply were both plugged in properly. But I dicked around in the BIOS Setup Utility and got the computer to recognize the new drive on boot up again! (Don't ask me how, because I don't know.) But the BIOS Setup Utility still doesn't recognize the new drive. It's putting my DVD drive as the Primary IDE Master, and doesn't acknowledge the existence of the new drive. And the boot cycle just dumps me off at a black screen with a blinking curser. No C: or anything.

I think you guys might be on to something. I'm going to keep pressing buttons and rebooting and see what happens.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

By pressing F8 a million times really quickly, I was able to select my DVD player as the boot device, and get the setup disk to work. It started doing stuff, but then I got this:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup
---------------------------------

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

I'm wondering if this is related to the fact that I don't have a RAID setup. (Or know what one is.) I was getting an error about that before. And one of the things I changed in the BIOS Setup was a RAID thing. In advanced settings, under "OnBoard Promise Controller" there's a sub-heading called "Operating Mode." I changed it from RAID to Onboard IDE Operate Mode.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

I've been doing some reading. I'm thinking the slipstream thing might work, but I have no idea where to begin or how to do it.

Do you mind walking me through? I'm not totally computer illiterate, but I'm not much of an expert, either. Can I get nLite for free somehow?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

Okay! I've found a couple tutorials for two methods of loading the SATA drivers. The slipstream method looks complicated, but i think i can make it work. I'm very excited. If this works, I am writing theme songs for Spike2me and Computer4u. I can already hear sort of an Aretha Franklin sound for Spike2me. ("S.P.I.K.E. 2 Me. Helped me fix my IDE. Spike it to me/Spike it to me/Spike it to me/Spike it to me"). Thinking more Super Mario/industrial for Computer4u.

The other option is to press F6. It seems easier, but it involves a floppy disk. I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those around anymore. I doubt my local computer store even carries them anymore. I might have to go on Ebay and see if anybody has kept a few as a matter of historical record or something. Maybe I'll grab a couple 5 1/4 floppies, too, just in case Bill Gates comes up with some other retarded windows BS in the future. Might as well buy some 8-tracks while I'm there.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #10

Thanks for the song, but don't quit your day job just yet
You say that the bios screen at bootup shows your drive but when you go into the Bios, it doesn't show? It should be listed as Primary SATA or SATA0. If not, then look around in the Bios under drives to switch from AHCI to SATA-IDE or Legacy. Save with a F10 and try to boot off the CD again. If you can't find that or it fails, then you will need to Slipstream your SATA drivers for you motherboard with nLIte
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

Okay. I have nLite. and I think I know how to do the slipstream thing. I made a new boot disk with some standard Intel SATA drivers that I got from this excellent (but i think slightly outdated) tutorial: http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slip...rs-into-xp-cd/

It still didn't work! Same error. It can't find my drives. I think maybe because I have the wrong drivers? I can't find any AMD drivers anywhere. I have an AMD Athlon 64 Processor and an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard. My computer says Antec on it. Do you know what kind of driver I need, and where i might find such a thing?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Registered Member

This is weird. In the BIOS Setup Utility, it reads the drive under the Boot menu. It will allow me to boot off the DVD-Rom, the SATA, and my floppy drive. But under the Main menu it lists my DVDRam as the Primary IDE Master, and nothing else. It refuses to auto-detect the drive. But it reads that it's there right when it starts booting up, and in the Boot menu. ***?

I can't find anything that says AHCI, SATA-IDE, or Legacy. There is no "Drives" menu. I did find something called ACPI support. Two somethings, rather. One I can pick yes or no. The other I can enable or disable. The first says No, the other says enabled. But this is under the Power menu, and I don't know what it is. So I'd rather not screw around with it and cause my computer to spontaneously combust.

I used to have 3 options. One is F8. This allows me to choose what I want to boot off of. The second option is Delete. This gets me into the Bios Setup Utility. The third option used to be TAB. This screen flashes for a nanosecond with the K8V SE logo on it and i can press tab or delete. If i press delete, i still get into the Bios Setup thing. If I press tab, I'm supposed to get into some sort of BIOS thing, i think. But instead, what's happening now is that i get to see a nifty little "American Megatrends" logo before it takes me to the blinking cursor. Then it starts doing the setup for the millionth time, which of course it won't complete because it can't find the drive. (It gets all the way to the part where you have to press enter to install windows.) Blast!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

Update:

1. It turns out that maybe I had the SATA input right in the first place. I'm not sure. Apparently, there are two controllers on the motherboard, with two different sets of SATA inputs. The one that my brother told me to plug into was marked "PRI(mary) SATA." But according to my manual, this set of inputs is for RAID. So I unplugged the SATA from there and returned it to the other input that I had it in originally. Now TAB works, but the DELETE key function doesn't. And when I say that TAB "works," I mean that it will tell me the drive is there, and let me press escape. F1 and the other functions are disabled/don't work. At this point, I'm not sure if it matters which SATA input I'm plugged into, so I'm just going to go with the one I'm plugged into now.

2. I found a bunch of drivers, on the disk that came with the motherboard, but I'm not sure which of the files need to be slipstreamed. I checked the disk before, and it appeared to say that there were no drivers on there, but it turns out you have to click on some secret icons that are hidden on the upper-right corner of the screen. I was told that I'd need a file labelled "txtsetup.oem". I have it. And i've got a bunch of files from a folder marked "378ATA." I've also got some stuff called VIASRAID and AMDK8. I'm not sure what they are or if i need them. There was a bunch of other drivers and stuff on the disk, but these were the ones I thought I might need. Will it do anything bad if I include extra files in the slipstream?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
Registered Member

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

What kind of music do you like, spike?

Windows is installed!

Apparently there is no sound device on my computer... any suggestions?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

Oh, and just in case anybody in future has a similar problem:

I shifted the SATA cable back to Pri SATA and slipstreamed the CORRECT (ATA378) Driver (which was hidden in a secret location on my motherboard disk) into a newly-created Windows XP boot disc, which then worked.

Forget losing my virginity. THIS is the happiest moment of my life.