I was having problems with my Live messenger and tried out these suggestions:
1. Download and install SubInACL by clicking the link here. Click on Download and Run to install the application. Choose the default path where the application will be installed (C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\) . Click “Install Now” to proceed with installation.
2. Copy the attached file into the C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\ folder
3. Rename the file as reset.bat
4. Click on Start and RUN and type in CMD to open the command prompt window
5. Type in the following commands hitting ENTER after each
CD C:\Program files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\
6. You will see a bunch of things happening in the command window. When the process is complete you will see the cursor back at the prompt C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\ in the command window. Type EXIT and hit Enter to close the command window.
7. Reboot the machine and try the next command
8. Click on START and RUN and type in
and hit Enter
9. If it succeeds try to sign into Windows Live Messenger again. You can get Windows Live Messenger from http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
The command file I used called reset.bat contained:
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
Now whenever I boot my pc it gets stuck on the windows xp logo splash screen. I was only changing permissions but now I cannot do anything on there.
The same thing happens when I boot in safe mode and from last know good configuration.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?