Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer Won't Boot; Failed Preboot Diag.(RESOLVED)

This is a discussion on Computer Won't Boot; Failed Preboot Diag.(RESOLVED) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop failed to boot following a restart, giving me an error message that stated that the registry file "\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE"

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Biker/Geek

My System

Send a message via AIM to -=Rousseau=-

My laptop failed to boot following a restart, giving me an error message that stated that the registry file "\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE" or its log is missing or corrupted and that the memory was dumped. I tried to reboot in safemode, once with networking and again without, and then attempted a normal boot and still no go - it always gets that same message. Then I ran the preboot diagnostic, and it came up with the following:

--DTS Short Status Test--
Diagnosis: Failed
Error Code: 1000-0146
Unit 0: DST Log contains previous errors.

HELP!!

Details:

Dell Inspiron E1505
Windows XP Media Center Edition, SP2
Seagate 120GB HD
1GB (2x512MB) Memory (Unknown Manufacture)

Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi Rousseau

If you are under warranty, call Dell and report the error code to them. They will likely send you a new hard drive.

If you are out-of-warranty, double-check by running your Dell Diagnostics again [by category if possible, so that you know what part has failed] = you can boot your computer with the Dell Resource CD and run the diagnostics from that.

1) Insert the resource CD.
2)Shut down and restart the computer. When the Dell logo appears, press F12 immediately.
3) When the boot device list appears, highlight IDE CD-ROM Device and press Enter.
4) Select the IDE CD-ROM Device option from the CD boot menu.
5) Select the Boot from CD-ROM option from the menu that appears.
6) Type 1 to start the Resource CD Menu
7) Type 2 to start the Dell Diagnostics.
8) Select Run the 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics from the numbered list.
9) When the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu appears, select the test you want to run.

If you'd like to try some other diagnostics, MemTest86+ can test the memory ( http://www.memtest.org ) and disk diagnostics can be found from this link --- http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If you are out of warranty, and do need a new hard drive, the good news is that notebook hard drives are more affordable than ever. You'll need to follow the instructions in the Dell Service Manual to take out the old drive & put in the new one [it's pretty easy, but you have to be careful] --- http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm --- and here's an example of the sort of drive you'll need --- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149041

Best of luck
. . . Gary

Old 12-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Biker/Geek

My System

I don't have a resources CD... Dell instead sent a piece of paper telling me that recovery software is on the hard drive and I don't need it... can't find the recovery software though.

I can send the code to Dell, but I don't think it's a hardware problem... I believe that the file just got corrupted. (I do believe I ended a frozen program by halting the process in the task manager, after it would not respond in any other way, would that do it? Would it having been an install program made it worse? Am I an idiot for doing that? ) If I can't find a way to repair XP, I'll just format and reinstall, but I have 2 programs that I lost the CD for and will lose (Flash MX and Dreamweaver...) I have all my music and pictures backed up, but will lose a few documents. (Nothing VITALLY important though... thank God the semester's over )
Old 12-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Biker/Geek

My System

Well, now I got the computer to boot up and mostly run normally, everything works fine - except iTunes, Quicktime, and a couple of other programs. Somehow Realplayer reappeared on my computer and I can't uninstall it - from Add/Remove Programs or the start menu "Uninstall" option.

Windows gave me a message saying that iTunes was not currently installed when I clicked its icon, even though all the files were in Program Files, iTunes was in the registry, and it showed up in Add/Remove Programs. So I uninstalled it and then reinstalled... Now it gives me a "iTunes has encountered an error and needs to close" message every time I click the icon.

Quicktime will neither run nor uninstall... However, I can backup the entire hard drive now, including the programs and registry keys (I know how to install the programs with just the files and required registry information). Would backing up all the data and doing a format and fresh install be the best route to go? I downloaded all of the drivers that I could find on Dell's website, but I still don't have the XP CD for this computer - all I have is an OEM XP MCE CD for another desktop (An XPS - my family's PC) Would that cause issues? Would I have to validate again? (UG)
Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 AM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi again

I think it would be best to make sure the hardware is sound first, so that you aren't left chasing a hardware problem with software solutions [and the diagnostics don't take long at all to run = since you're not able to access the Dell Diagnostics, try MemTest for the memory, and the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics for the hard drive --- about twenty minutes or so for each should give an idea].
You can use a different XP CD as a source for individual files (as long as the XP version is the same, whether Home or Professional). For example, you could put the XP CD in the CD drive (and cancel any resulting screens), then go to the Start/Run box and type

sfc /scannow

to have the Windows File Protection run (like "System File Checker") - if necessary, it can replace damaged system files from the CD. Only do this if the version matches yours (it would also be helpful if the CD includes same XP Service Pack as you have currently installed).

What you can't do is use that disk to install, or reinstall, Windows - since Dell CDs are keyed to the motherboard or hard drive = "non-transferable".
If the hard drive proves to be OK physically after all, the best tools for cleaning up your iTunes, QuickTime, and RealPlayer situations (and any other programs that either won't run or uninstall) is to try a Registry Cleaner. I like to use CCleaner for this sort of thing --- http://www.download.com/CCleaner/300...-10315544.html Use the Cleaning function to clean up temporary files, then use the Advanced/Uninstall functions to completely uninstall iTunes, QuickTime, and RealPlayer (and any other programs you wish to uninstall/reinstall fresh), and then finally = use the "Issues" function to clear up Registry tangles. Run the "Issues" function several times, until it reports "no issues found".

If you have a tangle that even CCleaner can't mop up, it's time to bring out Microsoft's tool, the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" --- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Might buy yourself a Lottery ticket if the hard drive is OK - that will mean that you are one lucky person!

Best of luck!
. . . Gary
Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
Biker/Geek

My System

HD Diagnostics:

Partition 1: Unsupported, unknown file system.
Partition 2: NTFS 113.6 GB, Failed with critical errors:
-One or more errors in the index
-One or more errors in the metadata file records
-One or more unknown errors
Partition 3: Unsupported, unknown file system.

It found no physical errors, however it suggested running Defrag/Scandisk/Chkdsk or other error checking utilities.

Memtest

No errors found.

I ran the sfc /scannow with an XP MCE CD in the drive, it scanned almost to the end and then found a few files (.dll) that needed to be replaced, but it asked for the second XP CD... There were 5 files, but only one said that it was critical. (It didn't list the exact files)

I did everything with CCleaner, it got rid of iTunes, Quicktime and Realplayer, but I still couldn't reinstall iTunes and Quicktime. So I also did the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Same problem. I still can't install iTunes without getting the "iTunes has encountered an error and needs to close" error every time I click the icon.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
Biker/Geek

My System

Edit: I got iTunes and Quicktime fixed now, I searched the HD and found all iTunes and Quicktime related files and deleted them. (After having uninstalled them properly) I then deleted the main references in the registry. (I didn't delete everything that came up when I used the find feature for iTunes and Quicktime) I then installed the Quicktime standalone, followed by iTunes. Now it works, I didn't even lose my library data . I also ran chkdsk, and it came up with a couple of errors, so I'm running it again before the next boot as chkdsk /F to attempt to fix the errors.

The computer runs fine now, but I get a BSOD - Multiple IRP Requests error every once in a while. I think I'll just make sure to back up all my data regularly and do what I can to maintain it until I either upgrade to Vista or get an XP MCE install disk (Non-OEM).
Old 12-14-2006, 12:05 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi again

You might be able to run things more-or-less alright now-and-then, but from the looks of the error messages and the diagnostics, Dell needs to send you a new hard drive. [Was it the Dell Diagnostics, or the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics that had trouble checking two of the three partitions? --- diagnostics from the manufacturer shouldn't have any trouble, no matter what format the partitions use.] Do you have a Linux installation sharing the drive? Dell's tools might not work with Linux/Unix partitions (I'd have to look that up - I'm not sure at the moment).

The "multiple IRP Requests" type of error is usually cause by hardware trouble - either failing hardware, incompatible hardware, or hardware with a driver problem. See if any modules are listed in the details in Event Viewer (right-click on the Event, and look at the "Properties").

With such a new machine, you shouldn't have to put up with any errors at all. Things should just work.

It should be completely covered by your warranty, the 120gb laptop drives haven't been available very long, so you are probably well within your warranty period.

Hope it turns out OK, and you can go back to enjoying your computer
. . . Gary

[P.S. ... is it all original Dell memory in the computer?]
Old 12-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Biker/Geek

My System

Yeah... I'll backup all my data and send the drive in. Do they put a new installation of XP on the replacement drives? It was the manufacturer diagnostic that failed... The two partitions are Dell created, one as recovery (hahaha...) and another for the feature where you can use multimedia without fully booting... The computer is all original hardware.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:38 AM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi again

You might have a choice, regarding the drive. To be certain, call Dell and see what they say. They could either image it as it was when you bought it, or try to patch the current installation & copy it over with all it's current data intact.

Either way, you'll have a working copy of XP and all the bundled software. They'll activate and validate it for you, too.

Glad they stand by their warranties!
. . . Gary
Old 01-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #11
Biker/Geek

My System

Well, turns out they indeed shipped me a new HD, as well as all the disks I could need for a fresh reboot (Including a CD w/ all the needed drivers). One thing I actually liked a lot was the fact that the drive was completely fresh, no pre-installed anything. (I hate all the bundled junk - Would have deleted 90% of it anyway) Now I have a fresh XP setup, with a HD partitioned how I like it (Windows on a separate partition from other files, another small partition for another OS - Linux ) Now no problems whatsoever.

Thnx all!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus

Rousseau -
Congratulations! Sounds like the best result!
. . . Gary

[P.S. --- I like your new avatar = I believe it's the little cubicle-dweller from the Dilbert comics? Since my wife is a Human Resources director, we both laugh out loud at Catbert, the evil Human Resources character.

....and this post is typed from a triple-boot computer with XP, Vista, and Mandriva Linux -- I like them all]
Old 01-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #13
Biker/Geek

My System

Thnx lol. It's Wally, I found the avatar in the list here, since I can't upload my own yet. Dilbert is one of my favorite comics.