Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer will not turn on after shutting down.

This is a discussion on Computer will not turn on after shutting down. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First timer here at the forums, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure of the best

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

First timer here at the forums, sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure of the best place to put it.

For a long time I've had an issue with my computer, and since it was more of an annoyance than anything, I left it alone, but it's REALLY been bothering me lately.

Basically any time that my computer is shut down or powered down with a hard-off, it refuses to start back up again for a period of anywhere from 30-45 minutes.

Example: I shut down the computer using the shut down command. Computer powers down. I then press the power button in order to start the computer back up. The LED lights and fans turn on and spin up for about half a second and then everything goes back off. At this point, if I press the button again, nothing will happen. The only way to even get them to do the half-second spin up again is to flip the switch on my power supply to off, wait for the residual charge to leave the PC, and then flip it back on. Even then, I still only get the LED lights and fan spin up for a half second, and then nothing.

Now, if I leave the computer off without trying to start it for a good 45 minutes or so, I can come back and start it as normal. This problem totally boggles my mind, because since it began almost a year ago, I have changed/replaced the following parts of my computer: Motherboard, Ram, Hard drives, processor AND even the power supply. The only parts that I haven't touched are the video card and sound card. I've also since had a clean install of Windows.

Even before I replaced any parts at all, it didn't used to do this. I can't recall exactly when it began doing it, but I do remember that at one point it was fine. I simply mention the parts being changed since it happening as a way to possibly rule those out as a problem.

Anyone have any ideas as to what my problem could be? I'm at work and can't remember exactly, but I'll try to give my approximate current specs. Let me know if any further details are needed and I'll try to post them when I get home and can check.

Windows XP Pro SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme QX9770
4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC16000 RAM (maybe?)
EVGA nForce 790i Ultra motherboard
1000W Thermaltake PSU
EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound Card

Thanks in advance. : )

Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredhalo View Post
I have changed/replaced the following parts of my computer: Motherboard, Ram, Hard drives, processor AND even the power supply. The only parts that I haven't touched are the video card and sound card. I've also since had a clean install of Windows.

Even before I replaced any parts at all, it didn't used to do this. I can't recall exactly when it began doing it, but I do remember that at one point it was fine. I simply mention the parts being changed since it happening as a way to possibly rule those out as a problem.

Anyone have any ideas as to what my problem could be?
Well the obvious "no-brainer" answer is the Video Card or the sound card. You've replaced every single thing in the system, to include the motherboard and the operating system.

Normally, first suggestions would be easy things like clearing the CMOS or reflashing the BIOS. But since you've replaced the m/b, that wouldn't make too much sense. Did you replace the m/b with the same make & model ?

Also, "normally" these symptoms sound like Power Supply. Posting exact specs on PSU is critical here.

But, given the information, and believing it is highly unlikely you have replaced defective parts with defective parts, that are (somehow) defective in exactly the same way, the only parts left are the Video Card and the Sound Card.

Parts is parts.

(I just had to say that. A symptom of my OCD, lol....)

Pull the Sound Card, as you can fly without that thing, and spend some time doing test starts & shut-downs. If the problem goes away, you've found your problem. How frequently (what percentage of shut-downs) does this happen ?

Another thought would be temperature, but I assume someone capable of trading out a m/b would have thought of that. Which then makes me rethink the PSU. Did you replace an inadequate PSU with another one exactly like it. I know Thermaltake is a good name, but are you SURE it's of good quality ?

You could also have a compatibility issue (what a nightmare that would be...). Maybe some of your parts don't like your other parts.

Parts IS parts.

(sorry...)

Test your memory with memtest (link in my sig).

Have you updated to most-recent BIOS ? If so, have you gone back a version or two, just in case the most-recent is buggy & problematic ? Read-up on your motherboard via Google, and look for "known issues" that fit your symptoms.

But, unfortunately, all things considered my intuition is saying that your problem is the most-obvious, the one thing you didn't replace, i.e. the Video Card. Could be defective hardware, could be a compatibility issue, could be a settings issue, I dunno, but like Sherlock Holmes said:

Quote:
It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Have you had any symptoms that might point to CMOS/BIOS ? Changed the CMOS battery. ERM. You didn't use the same CMOS battery from the first motherboard on the second, did you ?

Gawd. THAT would be horrible.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm gonna try and check all this stuff out this weekend. I'll post back then.