Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer will not detect video card

This is a discussion on Computer will not detect video card within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. System Properties/Device Manager/Display Adapters/Nvidia GForce 9500 GT/Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

System Properties/Device Manager/Display Adapters/Nvidia GForce 9500 GT/Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

I have been using the above video card successfully since 2009. I booted this box a couple of days ago to a different video resolution and a partially covered monitor screen.

I'm not aware of any changes that have been made to any settings or any added or deleted hardware changes.

I'm using XP Home, SP3, P4, 3.20MHz, 2GB ram. Anh help would be appreciated

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

From Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Windows XP Professional
Quote:
Make sure that Device Manager is open, and that the device that has the problem is selected. You can perform some recommended resolutions through Device Manager.
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Select the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Double-click the device type that has the problem. For example, if you have problems with your modem, double-click Modems to see the devices in that category.

A list of devices appears. If a device has problems, the device has a red exclamation point next to it. If a device is unknown (usually because of missing drivers), the device has a yellow question mark next to it.
Right-click the device that has the problem, and then click Properties. This opens the device Properties dialog box. You can see the error code in the Device status area of this dialog box.
Use the Troubleshooting Wizard, if it is available, to help you diagnose and resolve your problem.
On the device Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
Click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. The wizard asks you some simple questions and provides a solution to your problem based on the answers that you provide. If the Troubleshooting Wizard is not available, go to step 3.
Follow the resolution steps provided by the wizard to resolve the problem.
Check the Device status area of the device Properties dialog box to see whether the error is resolved. If the error is resolved, you are finished. Otherwise, go to step 3.
If the Troubleshooting Wizard did not help you resolve your problem or was not available, locate your error code in this article.

Note If you cannot locate your error code in this article, contact Support. For information about how to do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Contact Us
Follow the recommended resolutions for that error code.
Check the Device status area of the device Properties dialog box to see whether the error is resolved. If the error is resolved, you are finished.
If the problem still occurs, unfortunately, this article did not resolve your problem. For your next steps, you may want to ask someone for help. Or, you may want to contact Microsoft Support to help you resolve this problem. For information about how to do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Contact Us
You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

In the device properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver. If updating the driver does not work, see your hardware documentation for more information.
If the computer has insufficient memory to run the device, you can close some applications to make memory available. You can also check memory and system resources, and the virtual memory settings.
To check memory and system resources, open Task Manager. To open Task Manager, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
To check virtual memory settings, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings in the Performance area.
The device driver may have become corrupted. If the driver is corrupted, uninstall the driver from Device Manager and scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.
On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
Restart your computer.
Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.
You may have to install additional random access memory (RAM). For more information about RAM, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Add more memory to your computer

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

This error can occur if two devices that are installed on your computer have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or both). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device.

Note The following steps might only work if the device is a Plug and Play device. If the device is not a Plug and Play device, you can refer to the device documentation for more information.
On the device Properties dialog box, click the Resources tab.
If a resource is listed with a question mark next to it, select that resource to assign it to the device.
If the resource cannot be changed, click Change Settings.
If Change Settings is unavailable, try clearing the Use automatic settings check box to make it available.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager right click you nVidia card and choose Uninstall. Shut down the computer and pull the power plug. Remove the card and reseat it, making sure it is in tight. Restart the computer. A new hardware wizard should start and load the driver you had previously. Download the newest driver and install that. If that still fails, then the card may have failed, and you need to buy a new one.
Closed Thread