Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

computer turns on but screen stays black

This is a discussion on computer turns on but screen stays black within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Got the computer from a family member, I tried fixing it for them first and I thought it was the

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Got the computer from a family member, I tried fixing it for them first and I thought it was the video card so I tried a different one and still nothing. So it was unplugged and stored for months then they just gave it to me. Well I took it home and started messing with it turned it on a cple of times nothing. Moved wires around put different psu in nothing, put it back to normal it started right up powered screen up I got into windows but it had a lot of lag so I went to restart it so I could do a fresh install and screen shut off... note when it wasn't working before this point the cpu fan ran at full rpm when turned on but slowed down when it worked this first time. I turned it on and off cple times nothing unplugged psuand back in it worked enough to reinstall windows and went to restart nothing. When plugged my speakers in to see if it beeps it started up! Its toying with me, restarted it again nothing so next try I pushed on the cpu thinking the mobo was bad it started up and woked for a cple restarts and quit... I tightened. The mobo screws down to the case and worked for awhile and then started acting up on restart. It will turn on once after it sits awhile unplugged with the bios battery out. I'm confused... bad bios or the mobo? I have unplugged all things that aren't needed for start up different hd with same effect. Only thing I haven't tried yet is the ram. I'm at work and will mess with it more later. Its a compaq presario or w.e amd 3800+ 2.4 ght proc two 512mb ram sticks a8**** mobo. I can give full specs when I get home.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

The PSU was probably bad, replacing it should have fixed it. There may be bad caps on the motherboard or something is grounding on the MOBO to the case and causing it to not boot. Take everything apart. Take Heat Sync off of processor and apply Thermal Paste. Take MOBO out of case and check to see if there are any burn marks, bad caps, or if there are any risers missing off the case keeping the MOBO from touching the case.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thx Spunk for the quick response. The other psu didn't change or fix the problem so I put the old one back in. I posted this thread with my phone which is touch screen and I suck at typing with it sorry lol. I did have the mobo out of the case. The mobo is light yellow but there is a spot more orange in color left of the proc... the mobo is probably bad but its weird that it works when I reset bios or unplug my speakers or plug them in. I did put new thermal paste on the proc after cleaning it. Also what are risers? The areas where you screw the mobo to on the case cone upward that's about it.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes, the risers are the posts the raise the motherboard off of the case where you screw it in. If the motherboard touches the case occasionally, it might give you this scenario. You can remove the Bios jumper next to the CMOS battery and replace it to the same pin and that will clear the Bios and set to default.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

I took the mobo out of the case and fired it up and it still did the same thing. The mobo in some areas look like it got really hot where there are a lot of caps. Idk how to repair it... so Im looking for a mobo that can run my cpu, heat sink and ram with pci e slot. Comp is a Compaq presario SR2017CL. Proc is amd athlon 64bit 3800 2.4ght
the ram is two 512mb 1rx8 pc2-4200u-444 3.7-A My hard drive is SATA and It also has a light scribe cd/dvd burner. Maybe a decent mobo that i can later upgrade to am3 or duo proc. price range 1-$150 wanting it to play games decently. Thanks for the help
Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

I have discovered what the problem is i think.... The Nvidia MCP51 Chip is warped or just messed up when i push on the small heatsink it loads everytime and when i dont it doesnt work until i push down on it. Its located right above the pci-e slot. I have applied new thermal paste to it but no change.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown87 View Post
I have discovered what the problem is i think.... The Nvidia MCP51 Chip is warped or just messed up when i push on the small heatsink it loads everytime and when i dont it doesnt work until i push down on it. Its located right above the pci-e slot. I have applied new thermal paste to it but no change.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This does not work anymore... :(. can some one respond please? I have one last question before i up and get a new mobo. Would a bad driver for the Nvidia MCP51 Chipset make these symptoms i am having? I inspected the mobo up close and cant see any weak or broken solder points nor burn marks or bad caps.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This is not a driver issue. This is the onboard chipset. You do not apply Thermal paste to this. It sounds like the connection is bad to the motherboard. It would need to be taken off and have the solder cleaned off and then re-soldered. I do not suggest attempting this. It's not worth fixing at this point, better to get a new MOBO/Processor/RAM combo unless you find the exact same MOBO then you can use your old processor and RAM.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thought about re -soldering it until i looked at how small the solder points were... lol. Thanks for the replies! I guess I will take a look at some MOBO combos maybe look for a replacement board. Newegg is the best site Ive found so far... any other recommendations?