Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer takes a long time to boot up

This is a discussion on Computer takes a long time to boot up within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer takes a long time to boot up to where I can successfully log onto the Internet (about 6-8

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

My computer takes a long time to boot up to where I can successfully log onto the Internet (about 6-8 minutes). I have McAfee and Spy Doctor and scan every day, so I don't have Spyware (I just went through a whole cleanup processes, due to spyware, from the antivirus help room on this site. Any suggestions as to what would cause this? Once I'm on the Internet, everything works fine. I'm using a 4 year old Dell with XP

Thank s

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What are the hardware specs for your dell? McAfee slows down any system a lot, so that is contributing to the problem. Do you have a lot of programs running at startup. Defragment your hard drive.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwellj View Post
My computer takes a long time to boot up to where I can successfully log onto the Internet (about 6-8 minutes). I have McAfee and Spy Doctor and scan every day, so I don't have Spyware (I just went through a whole cleanup processes, due to spyware, from the antivirus help room on this site. Any suggestions as to what would cause this? Once I'm on the Internet, everything works fine. I'm using a 4 year old Dell with XP

Thank s
Both Mcafee and Spyware Doctor are memory hungry programs. How much memory do you have on your system. You can check this by going to control panel and then system, also open task manager - ctrl +alt + delete and check the performance tab, this will show you how much memory you are using.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

yeah, McAfee is a resource hog, and not even such a great antivirus. I used to run AVG free, but recently switched over to Avast free, and it's excellent. If your McAffee version is the one that came bundled with the system, then I recommend you uninstall it and install Avast.

For speeding up the system, this is what I'd recommend. Note that your hardware should be fit and running fine, otherwise troubleshoot the hardware first, if you suspect bad RAM or a bad hard drive.
Assuming you have no hardware issues, do this:

(1) Thorough anti-virus scan with free editions of AVast or Antivir and the latest virus definitions file. But don't install or run more than one anti-virus at the same time.

(2) Anti-spyware scans with Spybot S&D and malwarebytes.

(3) All Microsoft security updates applied.

(4) Run disk cleanup to delete old temp files and other junk

(5a) Run chkdsk once to scan for file system errors. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

(5b) Run a thorough disk defrag. Use a good defragmenter for this, and also run a boot-time defrag to fix the MFT and page file if they are fragmented. You can use Diskeeper 2009, which is excellent. Their website has free 30-day trial versions. http://www.diskeeper.com

(6) Disable unnecessary background processes and services that take up memory. You can kill all the useless third-party programs/updaters like Adobe, google, Quicktime etc that have placed themselves on the startup list.

(7) Make sure all the hardware components have the latest and most stable drivers.