Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer Shuts Off Unexpectedly

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mike2020learnin 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am having a problem with my computer shutting down randomly. I am an engineering student and I run CAD programs on my computer and it irritates me to no end when I am in the middle of working on something and it just shuts off. I talked to someone else about my problem and they said that the CPU is trying to pull too much power from the power supply and so it thinks that it is shorting out, so it shuts off. The only time that it ever shuts off on me is when I am using SolidWorks (CAD program). I keep my Task Manager window open so I can watch and see what it is doing before it shuts off and the CPU is running from 85-100% with only 990Mb of memory used. My computer is about a year old. It is a HP Pavilion dv4000 notebook and has a 1.6 Pentium M and 2Gb of RAM. I don't know what could be wrong. What can I do to fix this?

I plan on upgrading to a new computer hopefully this summer, but until then i need to fix this if possible. Aside from my problem of having to do all of my schoolwork more than 2 or 3 times, who would you recommend me buy a new computer from? I was thinking Dell or Sony... What do you think?

Thank you!

#2 ·
hello & welcome to TSF,

first of all i need you to do this,

now what i need to do is go to your (device manager)

now once there you will want to select from the toolbar of the window(veiw) then a drop down menu / from it you will select (show all hidden devices)

now if you see any (red or yellow) quotation marks , make a note of what they

now go to the (event veiwer) this is thru the (administrator tools) in the control panel
here you will find 3 to 4 subcatagories

you will want to check each of them for this is where windows keeps track of all errors
now you will want to make notes of the errors that have been recorded ( you do not have to make notes of double entries just of the dates of their happenings & how many there is)
you will get more information on the errors if you (right) click them / then select properties

also

do you have a Windows Xp cd, not the restore cd's that come with some systems, the cd will have the Windows logo & 3D hollowgram/image on it

if you do not maybe you can barrow one from a friend/family member/co-worker as long as it is the same version that is on your system

if you have (Windows XP Home Ed. sp2 ) then the cd will have to be that / if you have a cd with (Windows XP Home Ed. )you will have to slipstream (SP2 ) onto a disk that you create

this also applies to (Windows XP Professsional )

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

now if you do have the Windows XP cd with sp2 please follow these steps

--------------------------------------------

performing a (sfc) system file checker

It is a scan that checks the core files & dlls of the (os) operating system and replaces them if they are corrupt or missing with the correct original version

start

#1 then select (run) , then press enter
a window will open
#2 type in ( cmd ) then press enter
another window will open
#3 type in ( sfc )then press enter
another window will open
#4 type in (sfc /purgecache) then enter / your pc will work like crazy / this helps in rebuiding the cache file (notice the space between (sfc & /)
#5 type in (sfc /scannow ) then press enter ( notice the space between the (sfc & / )

now a scan will start , have your (Windows XP software disk ready ) your pc may ask for this disc when it starts or during the scan( so you must sit with the pc while this scan functions ) , if it does then incert the cd into one of your cd/rom/player's , your pc will then reconnize it and continue , you will then have to minimize the splash screen for the cd to see the scan , when the scan is finished you will need to close the cd and all open windows , then remove the cd

you will then need to do a ( Disk Cleanup ) , then empty the caches & temp files thru the (Internet Options) , then do a defrag

restart your pc

then do a defrag again after the reboot

also follow this link

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/SensorsView-Download-29890.html

now download (sensor veiw) then take a screenshot so that we can look at the temps & volts

then get back to us

mike

#3 ·
Mike,
I went through and wrote down all of the errors and warnings, there was a disk error 4 times today, but every other error was a dhcp error or warning... and those errors spanned over the past 2 weeks or so. That may be because of the retarded way they do internet here on campus. The thing is that every time the computer shuts off without warning, when i turn it back on, it boots up like nothing had ever happened. Also, I downloaded that Sensors View program, you are going to laugh... there are no voltage or fan speed sensors on my computer so I cant get any readings off of anything except the HDD temp; I attached a pic of what I am talking about. I am waiting for my friend to give me his XP disk so i can do the last part for you. What else can I do? Thanks for your help.

bajafreak2010

Attachments

#4 ·
Okay... So I got the XP CD... I was half way through the install or checking, whatever... and guess what? It cut off again. Now I am pretty sure that is not good. I turned it back on and it is working, this is how I am writing to you. Also, to give you a little insight of what actually happens when it shuts off by itself... because i was watching... the fan slows down to an idle, then all USB perf.'s turns off (i saw this because my jumpdrive glows orange when it is pugged in, and it turned off, but all this time the LCD display is still on) my USB mouse went off, the mouse touchpad stopped working, the HDD light went solid, then the screen turned off and it went kapootz. And it all happened in that order. This is the third time today. Checked the Event Viewer right after I booted up again, no Errors or Warnings were listed. I have no idea what is going on...

bajafreak2010

#5 ·
Do you have an antivirus program? Everytime things like that begin to happen to me, I save all pics and docs then I reformat... I don't know if that's your ultimate choice if your fans and power supply aren't being picked up... I think it might be a hardware issue... Don't go and spend alot of cash though. First find a friend or someone to troubleshoot your issue and go from there.

I think it's better if you get a hands on opinion. :) Good luck.

#6 ·
hello ,

okay , now sometimes seneorvewi can not detect the sensors

here is another program it will give you all types of info on your system !!!

it is called Everest Home Ed. Personal ( free)

you get it here ( http://www.lavalsy.com)

install it then select (veiw) then go to (exspand) then select (sensor)

you can uninstall (sensor veiw) for it will not do you any good

now you should see what your temps & volts are

it is getting to sound like you are having PSU ( Power Supply Unit issues for it to just shut down like that

try this / take your battery out / it could be bad and causeing a drain while you have it hooked to the power cord / it could also be the adapter that the power cord plugs into / we can narrow this down so that you will know what you are looking at fixing & the price range

if it was a hardware issue or a memory issue you would be getting a BSOD ( Blue Screen Of Death ) poping up

i got your pc name & model # so i can check to see what type of harddrive you have so you can get the tools to check the drive

what type of harddrive errors were they write then down and send them to us

get back to us

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.