Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer shuts down unexpectedly

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Geekgirl 
#1 ·
Okay, so as the title says, my computer has been shutting down unexpectedly every once in a while. Like I will be in the middle of an application, downloading something, or just plain reading something on the internet and my computer will shut down. The monitor will go off completely, but my modem will have the green (on) light on and a constant yellow light which usually means it's processing something or opening a program. It really sucks. Like I have to unplug the power source and re-plug it in to turn my computer back on. I've tried virus scans but nothing comes up so I'm lost. And I'm not sure if it started before or after I connected my new external hard drive, but I'm thinking it was after.

#2 ·
Hello and Welcome to TSF

So it actually is not shutting down completely, you can hear the fans spinning and the hard drive has activity, is this correct?

Possibly overheating, open the case and take some canned air and blow out the dust bunnies. While you have the case open you can boot up the machine and physically look to make sure the fans are spinnning, esp the fan on the cpu

Find the manufacturer of your hard drive and run their Hard Drive Diagnostics Utility.

Look in the Device Manager for any conflicts, yellow question marks or exclamation points

Check the error messages by looking in the Event Viewer and post them back here (Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.