Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer restarts overnight

This is a discussion on Computer restarts overnight within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Every time I wake up, I find my login page and the session restoration dialog in FF. This has been

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Every time I wake up, I find my login page and the session restoration dialog in FF. This has been a problem for just about as long as I've had this computer. I know it isn't a virus because the only programs I have downloaded are the .NET framework (3.0), FF, Paint.NET, and the ASP.NET Web Matrix.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Click start>administrative tools>event viewer (also in control panel>administrative tools) Once you’re their, click on the "View Tab"-Add/remove columns-make sure date,time,type, source,category, event columns are visible, newest first,

In left pane, click any entry. In rite pane, rite click any entry, select properties and it will give you an error message or information message. Look for similarities between them for a clue as to what might be causing the problem.

Once you are in a properties box, you can scroll through the properties of all messages using the up/down arrow buttons. When you find the suspicious errors, click the button that looks like two pages – the error message will be copied. Paste it into your post if you need more help with the error

Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP
Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer will be restarted within 5 minutes:
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)
- Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB932330)
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
- Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
I hate Windows updates

Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Battling windows updates myself even though automatic updates are set to download only. You might want to change your update settings:

right click my computer>properties>autoupdates tab>choose download only and let me choose when to install. Then choose custom install whenever updates are downloaded, choose which ones you want