Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

computer random freezup and internet connection... is it the switch?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  szekely_janos 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been experiencing a rather odd problem for the last few months.

I live in a flat with a network cable internet connection, split between four computers by an IPTIME SW08 switch... I've had it for half a year now, but the problem is four months old...

The more "advanced" computers using the internet connection freez up randomly with an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error message ... I thought the problem was in the computers but a brand new computer I just connected a few days ago is already sarting to show the smiptoms, which all other machines in term "produced":

1. computer is connected to the internet
2. for a few days it works without a hitch
3. after that it starts to freeze up randomly, especially (but not exclusively) when i download a given ammount of information
4. (sometimes) it freezes so completely that no error message even gets a chance at being displayed, when it is, its the IRQL error from above... then the computer ocasionally restarts

*i've taken the computers to other locations, and tried them on other networks: no problems recorded.

I've had the cables checked, and went through several NIC cards, thinking that they may be to blame. Whenever i replaced an NIC, with a new MAC number the cycle started again ... first no problem, then randm freezup.

It is essential that I solve these problems, I earn my living as a freelance translator, and ABSOLUTELY NEED to resolve this issue: i need my computers to work!

QUESTIONS:
1. is my ISP somehow messing with me (i. e. are they doing something intentionally, or not to cause this, do they have some sort of virus or other software for it?) - I thought of this since whenever I changed the NIC on any of the computers things went swell for a few days, and deteriorated afterwards.
2. is it the switch I use (or can it be that)?
3. has anyone else encoutered this, or a similar problem?

NOTE:
*I've had technicians look at all the computers and could find nothing in the way of a problem... Nor could the "tech support" people from my ISP, on their side, except an occasional and inexplicable 99% packet loss, which they apparently were unable to resolve or even explain, as it dooes not originte form their server, and no other people in my building have been complaining of this issue.

*I've checked the "error logs" at eventvwr.msc. No eror has even the silghtest chance of being logged.

*I don't have viruses on my computers, I made sure of that well in advance, and this problem can only be replicated when the machines are run at my flat. (Pls. I beg of you don't ask me to post HJT logs, or the sort, as the computers are squeeky clean, I've reinstalled Windows on one several times, after formatting and repartitioning ... the problem persists, as long as the same NIC is inside, when replaced the machine runs along fine for two days, with complete internet access, then the internet starts failing and the freezups start).
For the past few months I've tried everything except changing my ISP and switch, because i presumed the problem could not originate with them (or so I thought)

With gratitude, Szekely Janos

See less See more
#2 ·
hello ,

this is what i seggust you do if it has not been done yet , do this to only one system

steps
-------

useing (ipconfig)

start
then select ( run
then type in ( cmd
press enter
then type in ( ipconfig /flushdns ( notice the space between ipconfig & /
press enter
then type in ( ipconfig /release ( ^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^
press enter
then type in ( ipconfig /renew ( ^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^
press enter

then reboot

start
then select (run
then type in (netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.exe
press enter

providing that the (os) is installed on the c drive /your drive lett may be differnt

then reboot

check your connection

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.