Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer Moving Choppy,video And Audio Also Is Choppy,Please Help me

This is a discussion on Computer Moving Choppy,video And Audio Also Is Choppy,Please Help me within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The problem started out of nowhere.I have windows xp and I noticed that my whole computer is been running kinda

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

The problem started out of nowhere.I have windows xp and I noticed that my whole computer is been running kinda choppy.I noticed when I play audio files the audio is choppy and skipping words.same thing when I play videos,i can barely hear anything.
This problem just happened outta nowhere.my computer is also movin slower,but surprisingly my internet is still moving fast with no problem(i have a cable modem).
I scanned my computer with panda. Im still having the same problems with my computer.my mouse pointer is also moving very choppy
Does anybody have any idea whats wrong with my computer?Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

one file avg antispyware found was infected which was called Dropper.small.located atC:/Navwatcher.exe was infected.Also I scanned in safe mode with system restore on and after it finished i turned off system restore and turned it back on after restarting my computer.

I also scanned my computer with Panda activescan but it didnt find anything.how can i fix this problem on my computer

Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi reezy and welcome to TSF !

Could be software or hardware. Let's check the hardware first. Please post your system specs (see the link in my sig). If this is a laptop then brand and model will do, if this is a desktop then don't forget the information from the sticker on the side of the power supply block (you'll have to open your case).

Enter the bios at startup by repeatedly pressing del when the computer starts (if del doesn't work, search for some message telling you which key to press to enter setup or have a look at this site). Search for some hardware monitor or PC health screen and report what your cpu temp, fan speed and voltages (+3.3, +5, +12V) are.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Hi reezy and welcome to TSF !

Could be software or hardware. Let's check the hardware first. Please post your system specs (see the link in my sig). If this is a laptop then brand and model will do, if this is a desktop then don't forget the information from the sticker on the side of the power supply block (you'll have to open your case).

Enter the bios at startup by repeatedly pressing del when the computer starts (if del doesn't work, search for some message telling you which key to press to enter setup or have a look at this site). Search for some hardware monitor or PC health screen and report what your cpu temp, fan speed and voltages (+3.3, +5, +12V) are.

aight here's the cpu temp,fan speed and voltages:

vccp 1.37V
+3.3v 3.26V
+5v 4.86V
+12V 11.45V

CPU temp:42 C (celsius I'm assuming).

Fan speed: 3013

here's my system info:

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name CUSTOMER
User Name Administrator

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Sempron, 1400 MHz (7 x 200)
Motherboard Name Foxconn 755A01/K8S755A Series (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 760, AMD Hammer
System Memory 224 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (09/06/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter SiS760 (32 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 330 Mirage Integrated
Monitor HP D8901 [17" CRT] (MY94809521)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage
IDE Controller SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP0411N (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SDM2012C (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive UB9944K GVR445B SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (FAT32) 38192 MB (14779 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network
Network Adapter SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (74.72.193.233)
Modem HSP56 Micromodem

Peripherals
Printer Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-210
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

I also meant to tell you when I went to check the cpu temp and stuff,the cpu temp kept changing back and forth 42 C and 44 C.the fan speed also kept changing back and forth 3013 and 3068(not between those numbers,just changing back and forth between the those two numbers).Same thing with the cpu temp.Im not too good with computers so thats why I aint mess with the power supply lol.I think it could be a trojan in my computer but Im not 100% sure.Please reply when you get a chance.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

The cpu temp changing by 2-3 °C is normal, as are the small variations in the fan speed. Your cpu temp is ok.

But there's a concern with your power supply : your 12V line is way too low. This is what you got from the BIOS right ? Everest is less accurate than the BIOS for reporting temps and voltages so if you got this from everest tell us about what you see in the BIOS. I'm not sure this is what's causing your choppy videos, could be, but we will have to know more about your power supply. Wrong voltages are not good for your components.

All you have to do is unscrew the side panel, take it off and take a quick peek at the sticker that's on the side of the PSU block. Tell us about its brand, model, wattage and amperage on each rail.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

I got the cpu temps,voltages and fan speed from the BIOS.Which panel is the PSU block?I have one of those computers that stand-up.Do I have to use a screwdriver or are you talking about unscrewing the big plug with the two screw things on them?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Look at this pic :
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dyna...l.deskside.gif

Note that it's the other side panel that you will need to remove, the one to your left when looking from the front of the computer. You may need to slide the side panel backwards a bit before you'll be able to take it off.

The PSU block is at the top rear and looks like this
Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

I dont have my screwdriver right now.I think I've might've misplaced it or something.The main problem though is with my audio and video skipping.It jumps when I play it.the audio will just keep skipping on any program or anything in general that has or requires sound.My mouse only lags and moves choppy when I open up a program or something on my computer.So what should be my next step now?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Well, if you could try another power supply and find that your computer runs just fine then you would have found the problem. If once you get the brand and model of your power supply you find out it sells for 10$ on newegg then it's crap. Do you have some friend who's got a desktop computer and would be kind enough as to lend you his power supply to test your computer for one hour with it. Your computer is not a power hungry one, so any good 350W power supply should do for testing purposes. It's pretty easy to replace a power supply, just remember to unplug the power cord and always touch a metal part of the case to discharge yourself before you touch internal components.

When you're within Windows, press ctrl+alt+del to access the task manager and go to the processes tab. Do you notice one or several processes there other than the system idle process that are taking some CPU ressources when you experience your slowdowns ?

Your computer is not a very powerful one. XP would require at least 512MB of memory to run smoothly, preferably 1GB and you only have 256MB with your onboard video taking 32MB for itself. It's ok to use that computer to surf the internet, but don't expect it to play recent games. Still in the task manager, go to the performances tab. Look at the commit charge values in the bottom left. Tell us what's the Limit and what's the peak value.

What's the last thing you reckon you did on the computer before the problem appeared ? Did Windows install any updates ?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

I had my computer for over a year and its been running with no problems.The problems just started like 2 or 3 days ago.anything with sound is skipping and its choppy.whether its a video,aim or yahoo,video games,no matter what it is the sound keeps messing up.

here;s my peak value and limit:

Limit:556660
Peak:404364

I'm not sure what the problem is.I tried antivirus scans and everything.what windows update are you talkin about?where do I get them from?Please reply when you get a chance
Old 08-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

You should recheck those values after a full day of use, if the peak value gets closer to the limit then adding 256MB of memory would be adviseable. I wouldn't invest much in this computer though, as it's not really upgradeable, so that's completely up to you. It's probably not what's causing your problems since it was running fine before.

What about your running processes ? Leave the task manager window opened in the processes tab somewhere on the side of your screen when you watch some video or use aim and look whether there's some process taking some cpu usage.

It's a pity you had to turn system restore off to remove your infection, you lost all your previous restore points that way and we can't just try to restore it to the state it was when it was still working fine.

There's a windows update shortcut in the start menu. Your computer should be set to download and install them automatically if you haven't changed anything. Does some yellow shield like icon appear sometimes in the bottom right corner ? Connect manually to windows update using the shortcut from the start menu and download all the latest critical updates there.

How much free space do you have remaining on your system drive ? Right-click c: in my computer, go to properties and tell us about the free space and the total space. Windows will like to have around 10% of the disk free to operate correctly.

When is the last time you defragged your hard drive ? I'd first run a chkdsk on it to make sure it's ok then I would defrag it. Go to start => run and type chkdsk c: /F /R. Answer no when it asks to unmount the volume then yes to schedule the scan at next startup and reboot the computer. Report if it finds any errors. If the scan is clean, go to start => all programs => accessories => system tools => defrag. Don't do anything while your hard drive is defragmenting, it can take much time so leave it running overnight.

Since this problem started when you got a virus infection, I'd like you to follow the HJT - 5 steps against malware link in my sig and do all the steps from there. Follow the instructions carefully. Post your final Deckard's log in a new thread in the HijackThis section, tell them about the infection you got and describe how you removed it and what your symptoms are now. It can take several days before you get an answer from the security techs cause the HJT section is often overcrowded, but be patient and they'll tell you whether you successfully removed the infection or not. Please do it.

The problem could still come from the power supply, as I said your 12V line is bad and you'll eventually have to replace your power supply or you'll be running into trouble. I would test your computer with another one if you get the chance. A 350W PSU shoud suit your needs and wouldn't be too expensive, count 35$ for a good one. Don't buy a crappy 10$ one, check the recommended models at the bottom of this thread : http://www.techsupportforum.com/f70/...on-107466.html
Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

I left the task manager open and I noticed that if Im not doing nothing the CPU usage says 2% 3% or 7%.when I open a program though such as internet explorer the CPU usage will go up to 100% for a couple of seconds.It also does that when I play anything that has sound and videos also skip too.

My computer has 37.2GB and I have 15.1GB of free space.I had a problem with the windows update thing.Its not in my computer.I went to start,all programs and I couldnt find it.I went straight to microsoft site to download the update but it gave me some kind of error saying I couldnt download it.I ran chkdsk and defrgment earlier today and Im still having the same problems with my computer.

I already did all the steps in your guide.Should I post my panda activescan here or should I post it with my hijackthis in the hijackthis log thread?Please reply when you get a chance.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

ive started having this problem too ... choppy choppy choppy! my pc runs at 0-4% memory usage, i open even just My Computer and it goes to 100% cpu usage and my mouse jumps all over the screen.

reezy did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours?

it happened about 2 weeks ago - i was playing my Quake Wars game and suddenly it got choppy and everything was skipping, including the audio. i managed to get out of the game although it took forever.

i did the following:

spyware/malware/virus scan
complete defrag
all windows updates
FORMAT

I reinstalled windows and installed my game again.. still choppy *grrr*
winamp and call of duty 4 were also running choppy after i installed those.

so... i yanked the hard drive out and put in a new one, formatted yet again, and then i made sure everything was plugged it etc etc

everything was running great... until last night. i was happily playing my game when suddenly it started doing the choppy video and skipping sound again

my pc temperature, power supply, video card, and hard drives are all working fine as far as i can tell. i'm about to swap out some parts from my old pc in hopes that it is hardware.

in the meantime.. any thoughts on what could be causing my pc to run so badly?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #13
Registered Member

quick update - i have tried reinstalling my video drivers, and checking the bios to make sure everything is set correctly

let me know what pc info you need and i'll provide it