Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer keeps freezing, won't let me to turn it off

This is a discussion on Computer keeps freezing, won't let me to turn it off within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I hope I'm posting in the right place anyways my home computer recently had a virus I don't know

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

Hi I hope I'm posting in the right place anyways my home computer recently had a virus I don't know maybe it still does but when I do a scan with Spybot it says there's nothing on it. There's a couple of problems one thing is the computer keeps freezing and then I can't turn it off and have to hold the power button down until it shuts off which probably isn't good. Even when it doesn't freeze when I go to the start button to log off or turn the computer off it won't let me access the start button and I end up pushing the power button until it turns off. Another thing is I tried to download a better anitvirus and whenever I download anything and try to open it, it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access."

So I don't know what to do I've tried looking it up on the internet. I hope someone can help me fix this.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

You might be infected. Go to our site:
NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum
and follow the instructions
If this doesn't discover anything, come back to this thread.
Two things:
1. Spybot is not an anti virus program.
2. To run certain things you need to "Run as Administrator". Make sure you have those privileges.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Emily, I would say you're probably still infected. Spybot isn't really an antivirus program and can't detect a lot of stuff. Read the instructions in this link NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum then start a new thread in the Security center. They will help you remove anything still on your computer.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

Ok things have changed now when I turn on the computer it's a black screen the mouse works on the screen but there's nothing else. Can this be fixed.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Try booting into Safe Mode. When starting, keep tapping F8 key and choose Safe Mode with Internet. If it works, follow the instructions that Fred and I gave you in posts #2 and #3. If tests can't be run in Safe Mode, try running chkdsk/f from the Command Prompt (although chkdsk might come on automatically due to an improper shutdown). If black screen doesn't go away and it seems from your post you have another computer, please post back.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Boot off of the XP CD Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
You can also download the ISO image for Drive Fitness Test in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn and boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and extended tests on the HDD to test the integrity of the drive.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

I've tried to get the command prompt but nothing happens still a black screen. to Spunk.funk what kind of cd should I use is DVD-R 4.7 GB ok
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Boot off of the XP CD Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
You don't need a DVD the program is not that big. A regular CD-R will do. Did you try the suggestions in the Quote first?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Registered Member

ok I clicked on the recovery console ISO and it downloaded NTI media maker 8 and i don't think I have an XP cd.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
Registered Member

ok I downloaded the IMGburn but i need to buy a cd to burn it on
Old 09-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

ok I'm not sure what I'm doing I downloaded something on the cd and there's nothing still a black screen do I have to take it in somewhere because I don't know what to do.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You can also download the ISO image for Drive Fitness Test in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn and boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and extended tests on the HDD to test the integrity of the drive.
Just follow Spunk Funk's directions.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
Registered Member

I tried that. I don't know If I did it right or not. All I get is a black screen
Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
Registered Member

I have no idea what I'm doing
Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Emily, to run the cd, you have to make sure your CD drive is set to be the first boot device. You set the boot order in your BIOS setup screen when your first turn on the computer.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

I can't get to the setup this is what comes up

-Safe mode
-Safe mode with networking
-Safe mode with command prompt
- Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
- Start windows normally
Old 09-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
Registered Member

When I first turn on the computer a screen comes up saying press Del to run setup, and Tab to display bios post message. I tried both many times and it comes up asking me to choose if I want to go into safe mode, safe mode with networking.... and anyone i choose i get the black screen after
Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #18
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

When you see that screen, just keep tapping Delete.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
Registered Member

Ok well I've tried that a million times and it won't do anything so I guess I'm going to take it in to someone
Old 09-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In the Advanced boot menu (Safe Mode etc) can you boot into Safe Mode? If so, then Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Now type a Y and reboot the computer. the Check Disk utility will run at next boot up and try and fix any file errors. Also download the ISO image for Drive Fitness Test in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. And boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and extended tests on the HDD.

Closed Thread