Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer keeps freezing up

This is a discussion on Computer keeps freezing up within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell computer Dimension series with XP windows and keeps freezing up when i leave it inactive for

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell computer Dimension series with XP windows and keeps freezing up when i leave it inactive for 10 to 15 minutes regardless there are programs open or not.I can't use ctrl+alt+del either.

I have to started by shutting down the computer and restarting it manually.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Not sure where to start here , could you bring up the task manager , pressing ctrl alt dlte
or by right clicking the task bar and selecting task manager. on the tabs on task manger
select processes , see how much usage you cpu is using in % and also your memory consumption , also it will tell you many processes are runnig , find this out and post back.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

The CPU usage with only my browser open and no other programs is 0% to 16% the memory available is 373396 (I have 1046604 total) commit charge
399M/2461M.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to openflame06

Its possible that your hard drive has an issue. Go to command prompt and type the command - chkdsk c: /v /r /f and you will have to restart the computer.

On boot it will check your hard disk, it could take a while but watch it and see if it reports bad sectors.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you for your responses
I tried running the chksdsk the only message was that the volume was clean
Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

OS: XP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium, Linux (various distros)

My System

try this, right click on the desktop, and check your power settings under the screen saver. if it always happens when it has been inactive, and always between 10 and 15 minutes, it sounds like your pc is hanging up at standby or hibernate. this can happen sometimes, and a couple things to do to try to fix this is check to see if you have any updates on the dell website for the chipset. if you're having a problem that is consistently happening at inactive and 10 minutes or so, this may help, the only other thing that hasn't been addressed is a possible corruption in the os installation. if a file pertaining to the standby, screensaver, or hibernate function has been corrupted, you can get these problems of hanging up. another idea on the soft side, have you changed any of the power scheme settings or installed a new screensaver?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

I actually stopped using the screensaver option because it seem to increase the problem.
The computer seems to freeze faster when I have programs open but only freezes when its inactive.
I have not change any power settings either.How can i find out if the Os is corrupted?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

OS: XP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium, Linux (various distros)

My System

usually the os will give error messages, or do the same thing wrong over and over. another idea i had, and this may be the best way to go. go to support.dell.com, and check to see if there is a bios update, if there is, follow dells instructions carefully, this will require a floppy drive and disk, if you don't have one you will have to get one.
Warning if you have never flashed the bios before, though it is easy to do, if something goes wrong, like you interrupting the process or sudden power failure you could damage bios to an unrecoverable state. I saw another post in another forum where someone had a very similar issue it was fixed by flashing bios. dell will have detailed instructions and it is usually an automated process after creation of the disk. try this, and then when done, update all of your drivers to the latest versions from support.dell.com. let me know how this works, if it fixes it, if not, you may want to backup all of your data, and reinstall the os. This is a painful process, and takes about an hour or two, but you will get a performance gain from a clean install, you will have to reinstall all of your programs if you do this, but it is my preference to do it at least once a year to clean up beyond the usual sweep and mop job of cleaning your windows. let me know what you come up with.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

I updated my bios but with no improvement.

What is interesting is that if I close all the programs including one on the task bar whcih gives gold prices updates, the computer does not freeze.

I will probably just end up reinstalling the os.