Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer is very slow and unresponsive...

This is a discussion on Computer is very slow and unresponsive... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi...I was cleared over at the Spyware/Virus board, but my computer is still running very very slowly. It will have

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi...I was cleared over at the Spyware/Virus board, but my computer is still running very very slowly. It will have some moments where it's running normally, but then it will get very sluggish and unresponsive. I have run scans, cleaned files, tried to delete some old files to clear up some memory, and nothing seems to help.

I'm using a Dell Dimension 4800, running Windows XP Pro, SP3...The only issues I can note is that occasionally when I'm shutting down I'll get access violation error messages, or it will say random components are not responding and need to be shut down.

Any ideas?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #2

As you have tried all the normal computer speeding up techniques so that is not the problem I think you need to run a virus check, spyware removal and malware removal do it your self if you how to do it or else you can call your computer service person.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Before you spend hours running them scans I think you should look into what programs are starting up when you PC does and what runs in the background.

To view what boots up and runs in the background go to Start > Run > then type in msconfig The only real things you should have starting up is your anti-virus and firewall and what ever else you feel should start up when you PC does.

I only have my anti-virus, firewall and spyware terminator. Items such as MSN and other programs I choose to load them when I want to.

I know that my spyware terminator also boots up its updater program and it does slow down my pc and internet connection so I have disabled it.

Also to view what really does use alot of resources, you can view the performance by opening task manager (Press ctrl + alt and del keys) and click on Processes and when you pc is slow you can see what is using the most CPU (Processor) and memory usage. The image name is the program that is using them resources so if you come up with a few program names we can see if we can disable them to they dont use alot of reources.

Also (Ill stop talking in a minute) How much RAM do you have and what is your system spec? It is an old PC or fairly new?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

This link might help: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f174...ow-247566.html
Old 12-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks all...Looks like I'll be picking up some compressed air on the way home. :o)
Old 12-03-2009, 04:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hello LalaOringe. If our friend iTouch is correct the I could suggest a much simplier way of restricting starup programs. It is simple to use and has a symbols to guide you everything is reversible by reticking the box/boxes anything that you are not sure of google it.
http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php