Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

computer is connected to internet but can't access internet

This is a discussion on computer is connected to internet but can't access internet within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I can connect and access the internet wirelessly. I can connect but not access the internet when hardwired. I can

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

I can connect and access the internet wirelessly. I can connect but not access the internet when hardwired. I can ping the router and receive 4 positive replies. I have another computer connect via hardwire to the modem and it works fine. I've switched cables from one computer to the other and it made no difference.
I was was connecting and accessing the internet just fine a few days ago. I had to leave for a few days and someone else had access to my computer. They deny doing anything. I tried restoring the computer to an earlier point but it only had one restoration point from 1 day ago. The restoration made no difference. I've tried connecting via firefox and internet explorer but no luck. Any ideas?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Your Default Gateway is your Router. Unplug the power plug to the Modem and the Router. Plug the power into just the Modem (unless you have a modem/router combo) When all the lights come up, plug in the power to the Router (unless combo of course)
Now Go to Start/Run and type inetcpl.cpl and press enter/Connections/LAN Settings. Make sure all the boxes are unchecked. Now go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)/Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address and DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Now go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. IN the Command Prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter. the IP Address changes to 0.0.0.0 Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew. Now type ipconfig /all. You should have a new IP address try it again. If you still cannot connect please include the text output of your ipconfig /all in your next post

Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Followed your instructions no luck. Quick question. Are you wanting me to post a copy of my ipconfig/all. Just wondered if theres any security concerns with posting ip addresses. Thanks I do have speccy.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you are behind a router, there will be no security concerns about your IP address as they are all about the same (ex) 192.168.2.1 etc and we cannot penetrate your routers firewall. please paste your ipconfig /all results so we may see what is happening with your connection.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Wally>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : comand_center
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-84-27-4C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:09:34 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:09:34 A
M

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D1-44-EE-D0
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:18:44 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:18:44 A
M

C:\Documents and Settings\Wally>
Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In your ipconfig results, wireless shows your Default Gateway (your Router 192.168.0.1) but wired it is not showing your Default Gateway.
Do you have any 3rd party firewall or security software like Zone Alarm, Commodo etc that would be blocking access? Plug the Ethernet cable from the computer directly into the modem by passing the router, and do the ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew again.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

I ran release and renew with the computer connected directly to the modem. Default gateway was renewed to 192.168.0.1. I still couldn't connect to the internet over LAN. I ran ipconfig/all a while back and noticed the default gateway entry was blank. I went to LAN properties and entered 192.168.0.1 and applied. It then showed up when I ran ipconfig/all again. Another time I noticed it was not showing on wireless. Is there something that would keep changing it. I also notice that the local area connection icon sometimes doesn't show up on the toolbar in the bottom right hand corner. I have the paid version of AVG version 10.0.1411. My firewall is windows. I tried going to services and unchecking avg as well as disabling the firewall but it made no difference. The wireless works fine and my other computer works fine in wireless and wired. It seems like it has to be some quirk with my laptop. Is there any kind of a reset for the LAN? Thank you for your patience and help. Your instructions are precise and easy to follow.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You're most welcome!G
o to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)/Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address and DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Click on the Advanced button Add the Default Gateway 192.168.0.1. You may need to do this for the Wireless as well. You shouldn't have to normally but you may have to in your case.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

I.ve gone through this same process numerous times and somehow the default gateway keeps getting removed. The box next to automatic metric is checked does this make a difference? After running ipconfig/release and renew it showed default gateway as 192.168.0.1. What would make it change to blank? I'm not doing anything to the computer inbetween replies from you so something in the computer is changing these values. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Sorry Wally, that's all I know.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
TSF Registered Member

Method 1)

In CMD reset the following below
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Method 2)

It might be a router problem so you should try this:

Hard Reboot (press and hold reset buttons for 90 seconds , differs per device, then unplug everything and rework your ethernet jacks too after your reset your devices)
*Modem (remove battery if there is one,press and hold reset buttons for 90 seconds , differs per device )
*Router (press and hold reset buttons for 90 seconds , differs per device)
Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

@sysec. This thread is over 6 months old and the OP has long gone. Most of what you suggest was tried in Post #2.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
TSF Registered Member

:p Sorry,didnt noticed