Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer Freezes Randomly and While Downloading

This is a discussion on Computer Freezes Randomly and While Downloading within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have searched up many forums to get a problem like this, but my problem seems to be too specific

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have searched up many forums to get a problem like this, but my problem seems to be too specific to find a real solution.

Once I boot up my computer, everything works fine. For some reason, it does take a couple minutes to connect to the internet (high-speed), but it does connect sooner or later. Now, my computer will freeze randomly whenever I seem to do anything. It could freeze within 10 minutes of my computer turning on, or 24 hours within of my computer turning on. But, whenever I seem to download something also, it seems especially susceptible to freezing. Not only does it freeze, in my task bar it says my internet has disconnected. I can't move the mouse, open up task manager, or anything else along those lines.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

OS: W7 Pro, W7 Ultimate, Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Pro, Linux (Ubuntu)

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to Michael_Larsen

First, if you have your original boot disk, boot your computer from the disk. Open the Recovery Console and run chkdsk c: /r. Once that has completed, you should go into your DEVICE MANAGER and update all of your drivers. Try that and then see if you have the same issues.

Good day!

Mike

Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

and if you're as lazy as me, look for the Microsoft approved critical drivers on their windows update website under the Custom option then optional hardware updates sectionin XP or under just optional in Vista and Windows 7. Then you can knock out a bunch of critically important urgent driver updates (they tend to not carry optional ones) at once. Not the one and only source for drivers but a good starting place.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Blow out all fans with Compressed Air. If a Desktop computer, open the side up and start the computer, make sure all fans are spinning. (overheating is main cause of freezing computer) Follow the suggestions that Jeepfreek offered.
You may also have malware, head over to the Security Section of this forum and post there for more help.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help
Closed Thread