Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer freezes on standby/hibernate!

This is a discussion on Computer freezes on standby/hibernate! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Inspiron B130 laptop. Since this past summer, it has had a problem where I will put

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell Inspiron B130 laptop. Since this past summer, it has had a problem where I will put it on standby or hibernate and it does not actually stand by or hibernate. If it is put on hibernate, it will freeze and do nothing at the "preparing to hibernate" screen, and I can't do anything to get it going again or abort the process.

Some notes:
*The problem does not ALWAYS happen. I suspect the culprit involves opening certain programs (either background apps or something like Adobe Reader or Flash) or web pages.
*In fact it seems to happen more often at certain points of time than others. Sometimes it will go for weeks at a time (with multiple successful hibernates in a row) without a problem, other times it'll freeze up every other time I go to hibernate, though that may just be me more likely to load problematic pages.
*I'm on my third hard drive, and I believe the problem only started when I replaced the hard drive, but NOT right away. There was a time where it worked fine for a while, and then the problem started. The problem has persisted through three batteries, and (I believe) predates my installation of SP3.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #2

Do you have dell support center or some similarly useless dell-loaded software running at startup on the system? I have heard that some of those utilities can cause hibernate-hangups (as well as shutdown and restart hangups). It might be worth it if that is the case to google for "uninstall dell support center" and see if the problem persists after you remove it.

Computers - You can't live with them, you can't live without them!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalaji View Post
Do you have dell support center or some similarly useless dell-loaded software running at startup on the system? I have heard that some of those utilities can cause hibernate-hangups (as well as shutdown and restart hangups). It might be worth it if that is the case to google for "uninstall dell support center" and see if the problem persists after you remove it.
Every time I've had to reinstall XP I've had to reinstall everything, including any drivers, so I don't think I have any of the programs Dell would have pre-loaded when I first got the computer like Dell Support. With the exception of Dell Media Experience, but I need to install that to be able to hibernate at all, and I don't think it's actually running. (Dell's Intel Chipset driver only installs standby functionality, not hibernate.) Do you think I should uninstall and (if necessary) reinstall Media Experience?

I have never had shutdown and restart hangups, but then I've never had to shutdown or restart normally that often!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Obama I's my father

My System

got to your c:\ drive and delete this file hiberfil.sys when you hibernate again it will be recreated. see if that fixes your freezing issues. You may have to go under tools>folder options>View Tab>tick show hidden and system files and uncheck hide protected operating system files. I'd recommend setting these back to hide when done though.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedsomebody View Post
got to your c:\ drive and delete this file hiberfil.sys when you hibernate again it will be recreated. see if that fixes your freezing issues. You may have to go under tools>folder options>View Tab>tick show hidden and system files and uncheck hide protected operating system files. I'd recommend setting these back to hide when done though.
Right now it gives me an error claiming it's "in use" when I try to delete it. (Despite this, it still hibernates properly for the time being.) I'll try and delete it the next time I need to reboot or boot the computer from scratch. Otherwise I may need to boot to the command prompt or recovery console to delete it.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #6

Here are some instructions on how to get rid of hiberfil.sys.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

I "rebooted" hibernation as described in the link above and it seemed to work, but last night it froze on hibernation again.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #8

Run chkdsk on your disk thoroughly (including the surface test). It is possible that there is a bad sector on the disk affecting recovery using the hiberfil.sys file.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #9

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

You should update BIOS with last version [make sure not to update with beta version or any not-fully-tested version]
I have solved my hibernation/standby issue with BIOS update...
I have had similar problem but in my case after I woke up my laptop from standby, CPU would run too hot so it would turn off to prevent any damage...
Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalaji View Post
Run chkdsk on your disk thoroughly (including the surface test). It is possible that there is a bad sector on the disk affecting recovery using the hiberfil.sys file.
I've run chkdsk /r from the command prompt repeatedly for unrelated reasons. Is that what you're talking about?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #11

Yes, that is what I was talking about. I assume those runs came back clean. Have you tried a memory diagnostic like memtest86?

Closed Thread