Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer Freezes but mouse moves

This is a discussion on Computer Freezes but mouse moves within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. For no reason my computer all of a sudden just freezes. I am running XP SP3 on a Dell PowerEdge

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

For no reason my computer all of a sudden just freezes. I am running XP SP3 on a Dell PowerEdge SC430 with 2 GB ram. As a maintenance I run CCleaner every month and use Microsoft Securities for virus protection.

Computer will hang at least 3 times a week, sometimes while in use, other times while idle. Can anyone offer help?
Myron

Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Did you run a malware scan with something like Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

I feel like a salesman for the software because I always recommend it. But there is a free version you can download and use and it's handled a lot of problems I've had with malware.

There's a chance something has been installed that's giving you problems. Have you tried disabling startup services. Here's a Microsoft article that discusses a utility called MSCONFIG that will allow you to temporarily disable startup processes:

How to troubleshoot configuration errors by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP

All that aside one would have to assume some kind of hardware problem. Something overheating perhaps? CPU, memory card, add-on card, hard drive starting to fail, etc....

Cheers,
Jeff

Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Part Time Repair Tech

Quote:
I run CCleaner every month
There is no need to run C Cleaner. I only use it as a "last resort" before reinstalling Windows -- never as routine maintenance.
What are you doing when it freezes? Using Firefox? Just at the desktop? When things freeze up what is happening in the background? Is there a Windows update? AV update? Hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete then look under applications as well as processes to see what is sucking up CPU.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hello, fishent, and welcome to TSF.
Does the keyboard work? I know this sounds like a simple resolve but can you CTRL + Alt + Delete? If you can, and because the computer will give priority to the window, you can disable Explorer.exe on the 'Processes' tab.
As said below...
Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

we do not recommend to run registry cleaners they case more problems than they fix

run

sfc /scannow

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them
Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for the tip. It will take your advice, do some reading and heat checking. I use the Dell computer for a workstation that stays on 24/7, it is a small server so should take the extra heat. We have it in AC room, so will check temperatures.

Thanks,
Myron in Lamphun Thailand

Control Alt Del is locked. I can only move the mouse. I'm sure I'll have to go deeper on this issue. Thanks for your suggestion

Regards
Myron
Old 09-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Registered Member

Can you boot into SAFE MODE? At least from there you can perform some actions and we can get rolling on this.

Jeff