Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer "Freezes" at Shutdown

This is a discussion on Computer "Freezes" at Shutdown within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I've had this problem for 2 days now, whenever I shut down my PC, it gets to the

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys, I've had this problem for 2 days now, whenever I shut down my PC, it gets to the screen where it says "Windows is shutting down" and it freezes there, or so it would seem, i have left it for hours in this state and nothing happens.

I am currently running Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

System Specs:

Processor: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
Main Circuit Board: Foxconn 965X7AA FAB1.2 Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
239.47 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
RAM: 2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT

Sorry if I left anything Important out, I'm a complete deadhead when it comes to computers.

All I've tried so far is a system restore, but that didn't work because the computer cannot shut down properly.

Thanks, Crazy_guy

Old 12-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

Shutdown problems in Windows XP can be caused by many factors, just like earlier versions of Windows. These included: a damaged exit sound file; incorrectly configured, damaged, or incompatible hardware; conflicting programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver.

can u tell the hardware or software u just added before this complaint.

If u have an NVIDIA driver try: In Control Panel >Administrative Tools>Services, stop the Nvidia Driver Helper service.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP Service Pack 2, Widows Vista Service Pack 1

Hi,
i had the same problem with my IBM computer. What i found on that was there were viruses which corrupted some windows files to prevent me from shutting down. Perhaps your problem is not so different.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Okay, I've run Norton Antivirus, Adaware and Spybot and they came up with nothing.

The day I started getting these errors I installed some Microsoft updates (Software Distibution Service 3.0, Windows IDN MitigationAPIs, NLS DownlevelMapping, Windows XP KB915865) and I updated Direct X.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

Please Help, BUMP
Old 12-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

uninstall that updates from control panel>add/remove programs,then try
Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Have you tried to repair your windows?

if you haven't you might want to follow these instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnthePilot View Post
Hi and welcome to TSF.
the first thing to try is repairing these files using the System File Checker. Only do this if you have SP2 on your installation disc. Otherwise you will need to slipstream SP2 to the installation disc. Follow these steps (courtesy of Cahuffeur2)

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go Start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point: While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

Once finished, remove the CD and reboot your machine...all should be "Normal" (hopefully).
They didn't work for my problem but i have a feeling they might work for yours.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNova32 View Post
Have you tried to repair your windows?

if you haven't you might want to follow these instructions

They didn't work for my problem but i have a feeling they might work for yours.

I tried this and I was unable to complete it as it asked for my Windows XP Professional CD2 (which I thought was odd, as I am running Media Center Edition) and it rejected it, the CD is in pristine condition, no smudges or marks on it, and it is an official Microsoft product that came with the computer.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Registered Member

i kind of doubted that would work but it doesn't hurt to try. You might want to search google or some other search engine for a similar operation for media center edition.