Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer cuts out but stays on....Help!

This is a discussion on Computer cuts out but stays on....Help! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. my computer is doing some strange things. Most recently it's been cutting out...the screen goes blank and all programs stop

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

my computer is doing some strange things. Most recently it's
been cutting out...the screen goes blank and all programs stop running
but the computer still sounds like it's on and running (lights are on,
fan, etc). It wont turn off. Finally, after disconnecting the battery
and power source, I turn the computer back on and it brings up the
active desktop recovery button. The computer does this many times again and
again, at random times....it's been on and working for an hour now and
that's the longest its gone so far.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? I'd appreciate the help--this is driving me crazy!!

Thanks

Old 04-29-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
Superhuman Computer

My System

Hi beandip999 and welcome to TSF!

Firstly, have you upgraded anything in your system recently? If so, this could be a component or power supply problem.

Next, are you getting any other error messages, even if they seem unrelated?

Also, go into your Event Viewer (Start->All Programs->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer or if that isn't there, either go into your control panel and double click on Administrative Tools then Event Viewer or just type 'eventvwr.msc' into your run box - without the quotes of course) and tell us if there are any errors in the System section - If so, can you let us know the exact error you are receiving.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sounds like a laptop from what you said. Have you tried removing the battery and just running off AC power. I have seen batteries so dead they do this. I have also seen some laptops that will not run without a battery. Hope yours is not one of those.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
Superhuman Computer

My System

Good point Terrister, I thought he meant the mobo battery (always thinking too complexly I am )

If it is and you've got a duff battery, it could be because you've been running AC power and battery power at the same time when the battery hasn't been fully uncharged previously.

Put simply, if you use half the power in a battery then recharge it, it will only be able to hold 3/4 of what it normally should. Then you use half again and recharge up to 3/4 of 3/4 of full power, and so on. If possible, never run the system on AC power with the battery in unless you are recharging from empty - pop the battery and run solely from AC instead.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay...Thanks for the posts. I unplugged my battery and my computer immediately cut out again. I've turned it back on and the battery is still disconnected, but it's running ok for now (fingers crossed).

No...no updates, except AVG about a week ago. No error message pop-ups either.

As far as the errors...there are a TON. it starts on the 10th of feb.
the majority are like this:
source:cdrom
category: none
event: 7
user: n/z
computer: your-bes5...

there are a few that say:

source: NetBT
Event: 4321

Some:

source: Server
Event: 2505

After the error messages there are a ton of warnings....after that: a ton of "information" types.

what do you think?

Old 04-30-2005, 03:38 AM   #6
Superhuman Computer

My System

Thanks for the info beandip999, this is starting to sound more and more like a hardware issue than software.

Can you give us the whole error message from the errors which occured on the last system hang (we don't need the warnings or informational ones) including the bit in the 'Description:' section - this should allow us to diagnose the problem a bit more sucessfully.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hello again. Here are a few of the error messages--I couldn't copy and paste the whole thing so I just typed in the info and pasted the description part.
Here it is:

Error: 4/29/3005 8:48
Source: Server
Catagory: None
Event: 7035

Description: The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{E38D4F0A-B812-4AC6-832A-4FF9F1BDE92E} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

Also:

Source: ACPIEC
Category: None
Event: 1
Description: \Device\ACPIEC: The embedded controller (EC) hardware didn't respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible

Also:

Source: Tcpip
Event 4199
Description: The system detected an address conflict for IP address 136.168.213.19 with the system having network hardware address 00:07:E9:85:85:CA. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result.

Source: disk
Category: 7
Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block.

There are a few other errors...some have a similar description: a bad block.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:17 AM   #8
Superhuman Computer

My System

OK, First problem which jumps out is that bad block error. A bad block is a section of your hard disc (in this case the D drive) which cannot be read. This normally means something has gone wrong in your hard disc, and it is a very good idea to back up all of the data on your computer.

NOTE: I would not suggest running the following while you are still having random shutdown problems - do this after the shutdowns are resolved to verify you still have a properly working hard disk.

To check the hard drives on your computer you can use the windows cheking utility which is accessed by right-clicking on a drive in My Computer and selecting 'Properties', going to the tools tab and clicking 'Check Now' under error checking. Select both tick-boxes and allow to run.

Now, on to the shutdowns.

Could you tell me a little more about your machine - ie make and model (such as eMachines M5309) and what version of Windows you're using (SP1, SP2 etc). I think this may be caused by an incompatible BIOS with some features of XP SP2 - such as the DEP. The DEP is something Microsoft have included in SP2 to make things harder to infect your system, but some machines just can't understand it, and when an error comes up, it just crashes/hangs. Although turning this off can remove the crashes, it doesn't remove the cause of the problem.

Are you normally doing something specific when the system crashes, or can it happen at any time? (One thing I'd like you to try is this: does the system crash when you press the function button; not the F keys 1 through 12 if you have them, the Fn button I think it's normally called - try looking at the bottom left corner of the keyboard)
Old 05-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
Registered Member

I am working on a Compaq Presario 2500 laptop that is running XP (2002) and service pack 2. It says: PC Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 2.39 GHz, 448 MB of RAM. Usually, I've been working on the internet when the screen goes blank. I don't know if this has anything to do with my current problem, but my DVD player doesn't work at all and hasn't for about 2 months.

i ran the check disk thingy and it says that everything is clear. I ran it on all of the drives and it's clear. What else should I do?

Thanks,
Cecilia
Old 05-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Registered Member

Is anyone still out there?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:54 AM   #11
Superhuman Computer

My System

OK, here's a thought - do you have an external monitor which you can plug into the laptop? It may be that it's just the internal screen cutting out and the system is still running (sort of) properly.

Also, will the system die on you if you are doing nothing? Turn on the computer and literally do nothing to it for the next few hours - does the screen die? (obviously press a key on the keyboard to check, if you have power saving options turned on)

If it does die with no input, can you boot the machine but go into the BIOS on startup and again leave it for a few hours - If the monitor dies here then it's almost definately a hardware issue. I'm not too hot on laptop hardeware replacement so you may have to go back to the retailer where you bought the machine.