Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer crashes when playing music

This is a discussion on Computer crashes when playing music within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a Dell Dimension DM061, Pentium CPU 2.80 GHz with 0.99 GB RAM. It is running Windows XP

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension DM061, Pentium CPU 2.80 GHz with 0.99 GB RAM.
It is running Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I've recently had problems with viruses (2) and trojans (13) which I have now managed to remove with Kaspersky. I've also run a number of registry cleaners which seem to have helped get my computer back towards normality.

One problem that remains and is driving me crazy is when I try to play music. When I play music it plays for a while (between a few seconds and ten minutes) before stopping and looping a repetitive beat. The computer locks up completely and I can only restart by powering off. Sometimes the computer emits a continuous beeping sound. This occurs whether I am playing music from a CD, streamed via the Internet or from Windows Media Player. Also crashes when trying to play video with sound - eg crashed earlier when viewing You Tube footage.

From reading previous similar posts my thoughts were it is likely to be caused by hardware failure - either overheating or sound card failure. But I don't really know, hence I was hoping someone could give me some advice!

Thanks in anticipation

Regards
Will

Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Is the computer well ventilated? Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for your sound card?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello again,

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Have tried reinstalling driver. Also moved computer above desk to see if ventilation improved there. But it is still crashing when playing music!

The computer does seem quite hot at the back, especially around the power supply unit. Is there anything I can do to identify if it is overheating?

Anyway who can offer any help I appreciate it!

Cheers
Will
Old 01-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

You could use a program like Everst to monitor your computer temps.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

If it seems to be running hot, maybe you should tackle the obvious first. Unplug all the cables from the rear of the box or tower,.take the side cover/s off and visually check the inside to see if there is a build up of fluff in the area of the heat sink fins on the CPU,.. also check any of the cooling fan blades for fluff build up. If there is, carefully blow out the fluff and dust with compressed air. If you don't have an air compressor, you could use a vacuum cleaner with the intake hose reverse fitted to the air outlet hole so that it blows instead of sucks. You can also buy an aerosol can of compressed air from your local Radio Shack or similar electrical store. As always, when touching any of the inner workings of your PC with your bare hands, wear an earth strap on your wrist to prevent any static charges frying any sensitive parts. This may not fix your problem but it's probably the easiest way to go before taking any drastic action.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks terrawarra and parttimetechie. Will try monitoring temperatures with everst and clearing the dust out. Will report back then on progress, be it good or bad!

Cheers
Will
Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hello again!

Its taken me a while to follow this up as I struggled to find a can of "Air Duster".

I've used it to clear the dust out from the inside of the computer. But I'm afraid the machine is still crashing when trying to play music or watch videos on You Tube.

Any other suggestions on what to check gratefully received!

Thanks
Will
Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

What does it say is crashing? Refresh my memory, as I am just coming back on scene. Is it IE or Win Explorer?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:56 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Take "parttimetechies" advice and monitor your temps for a while,.. it may point you in the right direction and possibly find the culprit responsible for your crashes.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hello again and thanks for your replies.

The machine crashes when streaming/playing music from the Internet, or watching video clips eg off Youtube. It will also crash when playing music from a CD or from Media Player etc.

I tried using Everest but couldn't see how you use it to monitor overheating. From what I could see it was more of a program to tell you machine spec. But I'm sure you will know a lot more than me and point me in the right direction.

When the machine crashes it tends to freeze with a single beat of the music looping. Sometimes the machine emits a continuous beep, but not always.

I've looked a little in the event viewer in the Administrative Tools. I've has several errors but the most common has been error 7000 from the Service Control Manager which means absolutely nothing to me!

There has also been error 1002 from dhcp?! errors 29 and 17 from W32Time and looking as a write this a stack of error 7023 also from the Service Control Manager.

All of these mean absolutely nothing to me but I'm sure they might to some of you.

Once again thanks in advance for your help!

Will
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Do you have your data backed up and restore disks or a partition? You might want to just do a restore.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Hello

An update. After spending several hours over the weekend I think things are finally solved. In the end I did as suggested and restored XP from disk.

Things are running much smoother now and I can actually watched video and listen to music after several months of frustration.

I'd just like to thank you for your help terrawara and parttimetechie.

Until next time....

Will
Old 02-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Glad it all worked out. Repairs do wonders :)
Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Good onya Will !.. everyone loves a happy ending. There's always something to be gained or given on this forum.
Cheers, terrawarra