Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer crashes when I connect to the internet...

This is a discussion on Computer crashes when I connect to the internet... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, my computer keeps crashing when I plug the blue internet usb cord into the wireless router. I usually unplug

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+1.66 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

Mistake

Hello, my computer keeps crashing when I plug the blue internet usb cord into the wireless router.
I usually unplug it whenever I'm not using the computer that's why I'm saying I "plug" it in. The other end of the blue cord is always plugged into the back of my computer.
When it connects to the net, my computer just dies, goes black.
It also crashes when I plug in my digi cam and usb flash drive.
I have tried system restore a few times but it's always unsuccessful.
I cleaned the fans in the back.
I have also followed these steps:

01. Restart your computer.
02. Press F8 to display the Startup menu.
03. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.
04. Use Start / Run / Devmgmt.msc / OK to open Device Manager.
05. On the View menu, select Show hidden devices.
06. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers.
07. Right-click the Mpegport.sys driver and press Properties.
08. Select the Driver tab.
09. Change the Startup Type to Disabled.
10. Press OK.
11. Restart your computer.
To resolve this problem, ask the driver vendor for an updated Mpegport.sys driver.

The problem is that I can't get passed number 07. because there is no Mpegport.sys section under Non-Plug and Play Drivers????
Can somebody please help me.

Sincerely
~Cassie~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moi.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	92503   Click image for larger version

Name:	moi 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	92504  

Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+1.66 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

A blue screen doesn't even show up when it crashes.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

If your computer is a name brand (HP, Dell, etc) go to the support download drivers section of the manufacturers web site and type in your make and model #. Then download the Chipset driver for your computer. Without any USB devices plugged in. Restart your computer with the USB cable to your modem plugged in.
Why are you using USB internet cable? Can you use an Ethernet cable from your computer to your Router? Or if your connecting wirelessly, you do not need any cables. But the offer mentioned solution should work for your USB devices.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hi spunk.funk,
Thanks for taking the time to read about my problem and for writing back, I really appreciate it.

I think the blue cord connected to the wireless router is actually an ethernet cable, I just assumed it was called a USB cable, sorry for the confusion.
The problem I'm having is that I can't even connect to the internet because the computer crashes right away, it's not a brand name computer either, it's like 10 years old and one of my friends built it for me.
I'm using a laptop right now that connects to the wireless internet.
I think I would have to buy a wireless internet chip to put in my desktop comp in order to connect wirelessly....
I just went into my hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play drivers a few minutes ago and realized there was a yellow symbol in front of gaopdxserv.sys so I uninstalled it, I also noticed I installed microsoft silverlight the day my computer started messing up so I uninstalled that, I don't see how microsoft silverlight would have been negatively affecting the comp though. After uninstalling those two items, my computer is still crashing when I try connecting to the net and the only way I can get it going again is if I reach in the back and flip that swtich a couple times until it turns on.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Run Everest to find out what type of network controller you have, and name brand of motherboard. Then go to the motherboard manufacturers Support/Download drivers and download the Chipset and Network Adapter driver for your computer.( see attachments for difference between USB and Ethernet)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usb-end.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	92525   Click image for larger version

Name:	ethernet-cable.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	92526  
Old 05-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hey there, I wish I could download that Everest program but my computer shuts down as soon as I plug the ethernet cable into the wireless router.
Thanks for including the pictures of the differences between the usb and ethernet cable. I'm definitely talking about an ethernet cable, lol.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

OK Download the Everest program to an internet computer and save it to a USB Flash Drive then transfer the download to your non working computer and install it and run it.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

I downloaded the Everest program onto a USB flash drive but when I plugged the USB flash drive into my non-working computer, it crashed.
I even plugged the usb drive into the computer when it was turned off, then started it up but it just kept crashing.

I went to control panel/performance and maintenance/system and found some info about my computer, I put it on my profile under computers operating system.

What do you think about this idea??? I found it on another forum...
I'm just worried that if I do this, my mouse and keyboard will stop working..

Try to reload the Windows USB drivers. Go to Device Manager and then to system. Delete all the USB entries and then either reboot or hit "look for changes" in device manager. I'd have all your USB devices unplugged before you do this. I've seen this happen and it was the Windows USB driver that became corrupt.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

For starters, the act of plugging an ethernet cable into a router and having the computer crash would mean reinstalling the USB drivers would be useless, as they're not involved in that transaction. Second, the behavior would sound like either a network driver corruption issue, or malware/virus infection. What I would first suggest would be to open a command prompt (start > cmd) and type the command netsh winsock reset, then press the ENTER key on the keyboard. Reboot, and re-attempt plugging in your network cable to see if the machine still crashes. If this doesn't work there are other things that can be done, but they're much more involved, so try this relatively simple command first.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thank you for that advice, I did the command prompt that you suggested, it said Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog, but it's still crashing even when I don't have the ethernet plugged in..

My computer wasn't starting up in normal mode for about a half hour because I went to Run/Devmgmt.msc/Universal Serial Bus controllers and disabled Generic USB Hub, it crashed immediatley after doing that.
I was finally able to start it up in normal mode again and it said the generic usb hub was enabled, so I guess I never actually disabled it...
Whenever I scan for hardware changes in the USB controllers section, it crashes right away.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

ok go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. Put the XP CD into the drive and it will take any missing or corrupted files and replace them from the CD.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hi spunk.fun!!! Thanks for the advice, I did what you told me to do, it looked like it was going to work, it finished the process successfuly, but it's still crashing.
I decided to click on install windows xp on the Windows XP CD but it said I couldn't install it because I have a newer version on my computer but that's the version that was installed on it last. I took it to computer tech pros about 4 years ago and that's the disc they gave me.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

ok then try a repair install
Old 05-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
Registered Member

EEK!

Sooooo I decided to take the sides off my tower and clean it out inside, wow it was crazy dusty, there were even a couple dead spiders in there, yuk!
When I was done dusting it out, I hooked everything up again but now it won't even load up to the accounts sign in page. I can't even get in on safe mode, it just keeps crashing and rebooting and then the whole system just turns off.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
ok then try a repair install
ok so try an repair install

Closed Thread