Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

computer crashes regularly

This is a discussion on computer crashes regularly within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi yall, my problem started when I downloaded a trial of corel paint shop pro XI since then my computer

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi yall, my problem started when I downloaded a trial of corel paint shop pro XI since then my computer crashes all the time every 20 minuets to 1 hour. System restore does not work it fails each and every time I try it.
I purchased error doctor it cleans the errors but the crashing still occurs.
On start up I get the error reporting window one is taskmgr exe , winlog exe, and one that says windows cannot open this file scvhost. exe, although the latter 2 did not appear on my last startup, and finally one that says windows is recovering from a serious error. Is there any thing I can do to correct this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Joe

Old 07-31-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi and welcome,
Did you try the system restore from normal mode or safe mode? If normal, try it from safe mode.

Vista Repair
Downgrade Vista
Old 07-31-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

I tried it from the normal mode, how's it done from safe mode?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Reboot the pc. As it is booting up keep tapping F8. You will get to a screen that gives various options. Choose safe mode (not the one with networking or command prompt). Safe mode will be slower, and the icons will be larger, and your desktop background will not show, so don't be alarmed. Everything will return to normal when you reboot.
Vista Repair
Downgrade Vista
Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'll give it a try Thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

Ok I tried it, I did"t get a safe mode option' what I got was "select boot device" with the options of Removable disk, hard drive and ATAPI- cd-rom
Old 07-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Were you tapping F8?
Vista Repair
Downgrade Vista
Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Do you have an Asus motherboard ? Try F5.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

yes i was tapping f8, and I got a blue window with the options I mentioned above. As for my motherboard it's an intel D845HV
Old 08-01-2007, 03:43 AM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Alternatively you can do this from normal mode so that you restart in safe mode next time : go to start => run and type msconfig. Go to the boot.ini tab and check /safeboot.

Now try the restore from safe mode first then try the following cause I'm not sure system restore will help with your problem.

First thing : uninstall error doctor. You should stay away from automatic registry cleaners. There's no way it knows about all the registry keys used by all your installed softwares and it may prevent system restore to work properly.

Uninstall your trial of corel paint shop pro XI also. I doubt it's really the cause of the problem but better make sure.

Make sure you have all the latest critical updates from Windows udate.

Run a chkdsk on your system drive : start => run => chkdsk c: /F /R (provided c is the volume letter for your system drive). Answer no when it asks to unmount the volume then yes to schedule the test at next restart and restart the computer.

Once the chkdsk scan is complete (report if it found any errors), prepare your XP CD and run the system file checker : start => run => sfc /scannow (the space after sfc is important). This will check the integrity of your system files and replace corrupt or missing ones. Sfc will ask for the XP CD if it can't find the backup on the system drive.

If system restore or the latter two steps didn't do the trick tell us about the errors you have in event viewer : start => run => eventvwr.msc. Tell us of any error you see there : source, event ID and user. Also paste the description you get when you double-click the error (use ctrl+c ctrl+v since the right-click won't work there). No need to report every other error with the same source and event ID, only the most recent one will do.

Also go to the device manager : start => run => devmgmt.msc. Go to the view menu and check "show hidden devices" and tell us of any warning sign you could see next to one of the devices there.

It could also be some failing RAM or a dying PSU or overheating but let's start with all this first.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #11
Registered Member

ok, system restore still does not work in sfe mode, I did chkdsk and it said it was clean, I couldn't get sfc /scannow to work a dos window pops up but it shuts down very quick and then nothing happens in device manager
I have A warning in "non plug and play drivers" asc3550u
this is the error list from event viewer:
Applications

Source Event ID User
Application Hang 1002 N/A

Hanging application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address
0x00000000.

Application Error 1000 N/A

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

Application Error 1001 N/A

Fault bucket 127312960.

WindefendRTP 3003 N/A

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection checkpoint has encountered an error and failed to start.
User: DOFA\Joe & Ilda Arruda
Checkpoint ID: 7
Error Code: 0x80070020
Error description: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

MPsamplesubmission 5000 N/A

EventType mptelemetry, P1 8024402c, P2 endsearch, P3 search, P4 1.1.1593.0, P5 mpsigdwn.dll, P6 1.1.1593.0, P7 windows defender, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL.

Automatic Live Update Scheduler 101 System

EventType mptelemetry, P1 8024402c, P2 endsearch, P3 search, P4 1.1.1593.0, P5 mpsigdwn.dll, P6 1.1.1593.0, P7 windows defender, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL.

MSI Installer 1013 n/a

Product: Canon Camera WIA Driver -- 1: This installation can not be run by directly launching the MSI package; you must run setup.exe.

Crypt32 8 n/a

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Security

None

System

Service Control Manager 7026 n/a
he following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
eeCtrl
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
oreans32
Processor
RasAcd
Rdbss
SRTSP
SRTSPX
SYMTDI
Tcpip

Service Control Manager 7001 N/A

Cd rom 7 N/A
The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.

DCOM 10005 System

Disk 11 N/A
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

System Error 1003 n/a
Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 f7594bef.

Service Control Manager 7023 n/a
The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.
Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Several things there.

First of all a quick search in google about asc3550u revealed it could be some trojan infection. Where did you download your Paint shop pro trial ? Any other file you could have downloaded ?

Follow the HJT link in my sig and go throught the whole 5 steps process. Read the instructions carefully and post your final Deckard's log in a new thread in the HijackThis section. It can take some time before you get an answer from the security techs but once they'll start reviewing your log you'll have quick feedback.

Then there's a disk error in the event viewer, related to the d: volume. How many hard drives do you have, which one is the system drive and which one has the d: volume letter. Find out the brand and model of your drives (either under "disk drives" in the device manager or by looking at the sticker that's on the drive itself) and run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility on them.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #13
Registered Member

I downloaded paintshop from the corel site, I don't recall if I downloaded anything else but I know the problems started right after I installed Paintshop. The d volume refers to a pine external hard drive My c drive is the actual system drive it is a western digital 800BB I tried the link you gave me for the manufacturer's diagnostic utility but they give me way too many options and I have no idea what to download, I'm going to try HJT link and my next post will be that section. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

If D: is an external drive then you can skip the drive test for now.

It can take several days before you get an answer to your HJT log, that's normal 'cause that part of the forum is quite busy.

In the mean time Id' like to check your hardware a bit so that we know it's done. Enter the BIOS at startup (usually by pressing del, if del doesn't work then check this site) and go to the hardware monitor screen. Report what your cpu temp and +3.3, +5 and +12V voltages are. If the voltages are not reported there then download and install sensorsview pro (latest version here) and tell us about the values it reports.

You could also test your memory : download and burn memtest86+ bootable iso. You'll need a burning software that's able to burn CD's from .iso files (most softwares can do that but the one integrated in Windows XP can't). Enter the BIOS at startup and set the CD-rom drive as first boot device.

Leave memtest run at least 3 full passes on your memory or leave it running overnight. It's recommended that you double-check those results with those from windiag as it runs different tests. Leave it running for 2-3 hours. Report if it finds any error.

Could you tell us about your system specs ? If this is a laptop or a computer you bought as a whole package then brand and model will do. Else check the link in my sig about posting system specs. If this is a desktop then don't forget the informations about your power supply that you'll find on the sticker that's on the side of the PSU block when you open your case.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
Registered Member

I couldn't find the hardware monitor page so I downloaded sensorview pro, as for the readings on temp. & voltage it says sensors not found but on the cpu fan it reads 0 rpm but it is working , while the system fan reads 3321 rpm. As for memtest what do I burn, the whole zip file or the files that are in it? As for my system specs hre is what I could come up with: Power Supply: Tubolink LC-A350ATX +12V Rail=12A, Motherboard Intel D845WN, CPU: Intel P4 1692MHs speed, RAM 1024 MB Hyvix 244A?, Video Card Raedeon 7000 64mb agp, Hard Drives: Western Digital Drive C 71.36 Gb, Drive F: 3.2 Gb, Drive D: external pine 114.56 Gb, OS Windows Xp Home 5>1 (build 2600) sp2.
hope this helps. I believe drive F is a partition onthe main drive because I only see one hard drive.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

That's right, there's no hardware monitor screen in the D845WN's BIOS.

Turbolink PSU's are ranging from bad to really bad so it could very well be the problem. Fyi it's related to Deer which is the worst PSU manufacturer I know. There are Deer 500W PSU's that have shown not being able to hold 260W. 12A on the 12V rail is also unsufficient. Go to this http://www.techsupportforum.com/f70/...on-107466.html thread, read it, at least the intro, and enter your specs in the PSU calculator. Set capacitor aging to 30% and add another 30% to the final result to take average efficiency into account. Tell us what wattage it advises.

It would be better to check whether the PSU is really the cause of your crashes so see if you have some friend who has a good PSU you could borrow to test your computer with. Check the recommended brands at the bottom of the PSU selection thread.

For memtest you have to burn the .iso file that's in the .zip file and you have to use some burning software that has an option to build from an .iso (or image) file. Most softwares can do that. The memtest CD will appear as empty after you'll have burned it but that's no problem, the computer will boot fine on it. You can use a CD-RW media if you prefer.

Then you'll have to enter the bios, go to the BOOT menu => boot device priority and set the 1st boot device as ATAPI CD-rom. Once the test is complete you'll have to come back here and reset it to Hard drive to boot back into Windows. Leave memtest run 3 full passes (may take several hours) and report if it finds any error. If there are no errors then recheck with windiag. In both cases it's better if you run each scan on one ram stick at a time, removing the other one temporarily.

Bad voltages could have damaged your memory so if you find your memory is faulty it'll be one more pointer to a bad PSU.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #17
Registered Member

Ok I finally got my computer to boot off the memtest disk, and it gave me this message and I have no Idea what to do about it the message reads:
"The system Memory Manager (EMM 386. EXE.) has detected an error caused by a fault in one of the device drivers or programs loaded in the system. Due to this fault the system is probably in an unstable state and you are therefore recommended to reboot the computer immediately. If the problem persists then try to isolate which program is at fault (if youhave loaded several then load one at a time until the fault appears) then contact the tech support departmentfor that program."
Then it gives me some "Advanced Tech Info"
Exception 6 (Invalid op code ) that's just the beginning if you need the actual list let me know I'd hate to put it up and you don't need it (e.g. DS=0070 ) that is just the first on the list if like I said it means anything I can post the whole list.
Thanks!